Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Hydraulic floor jack and jack stand questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't good ramps work better? I used a co-work's to do my sway bars and they worked awesomely. Easy and out of the way. (He had rather heavy duty ramps.)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Craftsman doesn't have the same warranty on their floor jacks as they do on a wrench. They will not replace your floor jack if it breaks 10 years from now.

99.999% of all these jacks use the exact same hydraulic cylinder. The aluminum race jacks still have a steel cylinder and still weight 50+ lbs, so they aren't saving much weight.
Thanks for letting me know! The salesman was probably saying that to get me to buy it. What a jerk. Yeah I guess so far I've been lucky for no leaks but checking it this afternoon because the last thing I'd want is to have anything go wrong when the car is being jacked up. Thanks moosestang
Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
So I've decided to invest in a floor jack and some jack stands. So the questions are:

1. What weight rating should I get? I found a good deal on a 2 1/4 ton jack with a set of jack stands to go with it. I'm guessing that would be good enough for a mustang, but if not please let me know.

2. Where are the proper places to jack the car up from and to place the jack stands? I know a while back there was a diagram that showed this but I couldn't find it when I searched. If anyone has said diagram or a link to it that would be great.

3. Is there anything crazy/special I should look for when buying a floor jack? I have used my friends before and obviously its pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure if there are brands to stay away from or anything like that.
paging 157db!! look in his sig, he has the diagram there im pretty sure
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
Wouldn't good ramps work better? I used a co-work's to do my sway bars and they worked awesomely. Easy and out of the way. (He had rather heavy duty ramps.)
That would work for oil changes and stuff like that but if I want to work on my breaks, or anything that involves taking my wheels off I need a jack and jack stands.

Originally Posted by moosestang
Craftsman doesn't have the same warranty on their floor jacks as they do on a wrench. They will not replace your floor jack if it breaks 10 years from now.

99.999% of all these jacks use the exact same hydraulic cylinder. The aluminum race jacks still have a steel cylinder and still weight 50+ lbs, so they aren't saving much weight.
I'll keep that in mind. I might just wait for another pay check so I can get something better than a cheap set. Maybe it will last a little longer.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Another check I would recommend is before climbing under the car give it a couple good shakes to make sure it is not going anywhere. Also as the picture above showed, keep your jack under the car just in case something was to happen and the stands or a stand gives out.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
That would work for oil changes and stuff like that but if I want to work on my breaks, or anything that involves taking my wheels off I need a jack and jack stands.
Point taken. Except for wheel stuff, I still like ramps.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Hydraulic floor jack and jack stand questions.-05_lift_points.gif

Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
thats the diagram i was talking about! lol
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have this jack and use it a lot bc I put my racestar wheels on for the strip.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FbOHMgodKC8A9w

Jack works great. Never had a problem
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

I have been using a cheap Walmart Torin Blackjack and stand combo for around ten years. I haven't used it to jack up my Mustang yet (don't doubt it will work) but it has done fine with my dropped Celica with <6" clearance and my stock suspension 4WD Explorer.

Another piece of advice, I might have missed it already, and even then, it doesn't hurt to be said twice. DO NOT SUPPORT THE CAR WITH THE JACK. I know you said you are buying stands too, but don't ever take that shortcut.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic floor jack and jack stand questions.