Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Shifter Debate.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

What happened to Hurst???? I have one in mine and it's the best short throw I've ever felt.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Hurst made a reverse indicator out of an LED, they cheaped out and everybody veered away. This is for the MT-82 though.

When you look at it the barton is only a shorter throw and side-side movement. While they replace the rear support to provide better shifts with the $369 kit, it does nothing to support the shift linkage beyond the factory. I've tried MGW and Barton and found the Barton was noisier. Not from a whine standpoint, but you could hear the transmission go into gear. I have less noise from MGW than I did from the factory shifter. MGW to Barton is about like comparing Barton to the guy who cut his shifter and welded back together to get a shorter throw. I'm not trying to put down Barton, each product accomplishes the same thing, just different parts and prices.

Has anyone installed the rear bracket of any brand without installing a short throw?

Last edited by clowe1965; 05-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I have a Barton with a Steeda Bracket. It's Notchy but definitely better than stock. It won't let you miss a gear. Never tried an MGW .... Picked up the Barton used for cheap so never considered the pricier MGW.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

If the only argument against the MGW is that you might have to wait to get it (and pay a whopping $20 more), I think that should make this a pretty simple debate. Get the MGW.

If I recall correctly, when I ordered my MGW it only took a few days for it to be shipped out. Memory's a little fuzzy though because I didn't mind waiting at the time.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Here is some additional information on our shifter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sKE...yer_detailpage

Here is a customer testimonial on our shifter as well:

I installed a tri-ax in my car this past week and have been driving on it for the past week, and I am happy to say I am blown away!

When I saw the pictures and held it in my hand I was very skeptical (as were others in the shop) when we saw no east-west springs as in previous tri-ax's. However after install all of use were amazed at the control in this shifter. We were worried that the shifter would not make a big difference, we were VERY VERY wrong.

100% of the slop is ELIMINATED. The shifter is not notchy, it is easy to engage each gear and finding the gate is not an issue. However you never have that mushy in between the factory shifter gave you which left you wondering: is this first or third? while sitting at a light.

My favorite part is the 2-3 shift. I push forward with an open palm and the shifter authoritatively finds 3rd for me 100% of the time. You will NOT miss 3rd with this shifter.

Finally the reverse spring is 10X harder then factory and that’s exactly what I was hoping for. It was far too easy to engage reverse with the factory shifter. If its too firm for you they include and optional spring with a lesser rate in the box.

Overall: Its so good I could never drive my car with the factory shifter again.

That pretty much sums it up! I can only give you one insight on our shifter and we stand behind it 100%. We offer a lifetime warranty on our shifter and worked with Ford Motor Company to come up with the specs.

Hope this helps..

Thanks

TJ
Old 05-02-2013, 01:25 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

They are all good ... you just have to use them and figure out which one suits you best.

You won't be disappointed.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

MGW.

FYI, the guy that started it makes precision gun parts for Sigarms, Beretta, and Triijcon, and makes car parts because he loves cars that much and shares our passion for going faster.

MGW is made by a real American car man for real American cars.

MGW makes things used by Marines and Army grunts.

Barton's cute.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Slowpoek06GT
1st Gear Member

MGW delivered two weeks after the order was placed-- depending on where they have to ship it. I haven't installed mine yet.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheStigSC
What happened to Hurst???? I have one in mine and it's the best short throw I've ever felt.
If you like notchy, positive engagement, then the Hurst is fine. If you're slamming gears at 6500 rpms, it's a nightmare.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

mine has one..it's awesome...dont know what make it is though?
has ford racing on the gear ****.
i'll post some piccies later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Shifter Debate.