Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Fuel Cap on display screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

Default Check Fuel Cap on display screen

On the way home today, check fuel cap came on my 2005 Mustang V6 Premium. I pulled over and sure enough is was loose. I got gas on Sunday and I must have put it on wrong or someone screwed with. I hit the reset and went down the road. It came on again. I got home and check the cap once again and it was fine. I called the Ford Dealer and told them what had happened. This girl tells me that it takes a few days for the computer to reset itself. I thought to myself that something don't seem right. I went over to my friend that owns a garage and he was outside working on a car. I asked him about it sonce he loves Mustangs and he builds early 90's. I asked him if he knew abything about this fuel cap on the 2005's. He called his buddy at the same Ford Dealership where I bought the car. He said the only way to reset the fuel cap display from appearing is to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.
So my friend did and I came back in about 25 minutes and he reconnected the battery and it worked. Had to reset the stereo channels . Also the MPG on the screen was way low and started to climb up as I was driving home. He said the dealership and Ford don't tell you that in the book or anywhere else so you can take your car back to them and also you wont damaged anything yourself.

A simple fix like taking the terminal off for 15 minutes and tell give you information like "it will reset itself in a few days."
What happens when your cap is really missing. You wont know because the system was never reseted.

At least I will know what to do the next time it happens to me.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Z_GT

Default RE: Check Fuel Cap on display screen

Awsome post, you saved me a trip to the dealership.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:59 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Check Fuel Cap on display screen

Its funny, I had the same thing happen to me. I was on my way driving home from PA and the check fuel door light came on. When i got home, I checked the cap and door; both were fine. I fiddled with them for a bit and still the light was on. I was bringing my car into the dealership the next day anyway for another problem, so I called them up and let them know of my second problem. Well wouldn't you know, halfway to the dealership, the damn light went off!! So I get there and tell them it went off and there response is "Well, if it's off now, there is no trace left in the computer that it was on." Now based on what I've seen of these cars, I know he's telling the truth. But that just is a dumb way to design a computer!!