Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping cool in hot Texas weather ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

Default Keeping cool in hot Texas weather ideas

I live in Texas and want to see what I can do to really cool my mustang gt auto..

I've considered a 3 core radiator

Tranny cooler

Oil cooler

Stainless hose coverings

Water wetter

Maybe a colder thermostat.

There are no cooling issues I just want to preserve the life of my engine is Texas heat tends to play hell in a hot engine bay. Also one day I will supercharge and want to be cool for that.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rshustler1
I live in Texas and want to see what I can do to really cool my mustang gt auto..

I've considered a 3 core radiator

Tranny cooler

Oil cooler

Stainless hose coverings

Water wetter

Maybe a colder thermostat.

There are no cooling issues I just want to preserve the life of my engine is Texas heat tends to play hell in a hot engine bay. Also one day I will supercharge and want to be cool for that.
Are you asking which one(s) to start with?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Although any of those and in any combination would provide SOME improved cooling, these engines are designed to operate at a particular temperature. Whether it's 10 degrees or 100 degrees ambient, your engine will operate at that temp +/- a few degrees. IMO, worrying about it is pointless. However, if you race and you're looking to reduce the effects of heatsoak, then by all means go for all or any of those.

Last edited by Nuke; 05-31-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

I've not looked real hard, but I've never seen a 3-core radiator for automatic cars. If you do buy a 3-core radiator, and it's not for automatic cars, you then must buy a separate cooler, or re-position the OEM one.

BTW, the car already has a cooler for the trans fluid. Tousley sells them for a little less than $200.

Back in the day, the transmission cooler was actually part of the radiator, but apparently, that's no longer the case.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

So if be wasting money that could be spent on other parts? I don't race but I do drive like its stolen next to a ricer 😄
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Eunox
1st Gear Member

Yeah I think you shouldn't worry to much about it if you are just doing normal street driving.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

water wetter is a no brainer if you don't already have it.
Switching to a blend of coolant/water that has more on the water side can also help lower temps... at the expense of having a lower boiling point.
A colder thermostat won't really do you much good, once your temps are over the thermostat temp it's full open anyway.
An electric water pump has benefits, keeping your car cooler in traffic, and will be a bonus when supercharged, keeping your car drivable if you throw the belt.
The stock radiator seems to be adequate for the off-the-shelf supercharger kits.

As stated earlier if you road race/HPDE then you may want to look at the extra cooling due to the effects of at the limit driving for 20 minutes at a time.

Save for the supercharger.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, about 50 miles south of Houston. Never had any issues/noticeable heat soak while naturally aspirated. This includes driving for hours at a time with some "spirited" driving.

With my Paxton HO kit and air to air intercooler, doing the same thing there are no overheating issues at all. But there is some noticeable heat soak of the blower, feels like Im losing at least 50RWHP, maybe more. The GT is lucky to come out of the garage now, so its not a big deal to me.

Mine is a manual though. I dont know how the autos are equipped.... But excessive heat is death to an automatic. jsimmonstx says there is a cooler already, maybe you can acquire a more efficient unit or reposition it to receive better airflow...

Like Nuke said, these engines are designed to operate at maximum efficiency at a certain temperature. Too cool, and the engine will be less efficient. I wouldnt worry about changing anything else until you have forced induction of some kind, then it may be necessary.

^^^ If I had the extra cash, I would throw on an electric water pump

Last edited by red96v6; 05-31-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

I had considered an electric water pump but couldn't find one at American muscle. Also I have udp how will the electric water pump do power wise?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rshustler1
... how will the electric water pump do power wise?
The electric water pump frees-up power similar to the UDP's plus a bit more from not having the fluid resistance; about 3 -6 RWHP. It all adds up, though.

Somebody claimed it was good for about 12 RWHP. I call BS on that.

Last edited by Nuke; 05-31-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Keeping cool in hot Texas weather ideas