Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking during refuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

Default Leaking during refuel

Hey MFers. 06 GT. Pulled into a station to refuel earlier today and upon beginning, I noticed fuel dripping pretty aggressively onto the ground behind the left rear tire, under the fuel cap/filler tube. I didn't have the chance to figure out where the leak was coming from yet. Is there a seal or clamp somewhere that I can look for that may be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

I should add that the dripping slowed and eventually stopped when I stopped pumping.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I believe the filler tube is a hose that is clamped at the filler neck and at the tank. If overfilled, gas will drain out just above the neck, there is a drain hole just behind the fuel door. If it isn't the tube or connections, you may have to look inside the tank, there is a tube between the saddles of the tank that connects to the fuel pump(s) and if this is degraded it could cause issues with filling.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I leaked all down the side of my car this morning. 2nd fill up since I got it, first one wouldn't stay pumping (read that TSB), this time it came pouring out!

Since that was unhelpful, I got a diagram of the fuel filling system for you.

If I were you I'd go back to a gas station tomorrow since you won't be in NEED of gas and bring a flashlight. Put in a gallon or so slowly and see if you can get a better idea of where it drips from. Gotta find the source.

Name:  Cw8WxCX.png
Views: 30
Size:  151.4 KB

Guess I'll go wash my car now, haha.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

I was on fumes when I pulled into the station and only put in 5 gallons so it was not an overfill issue. Ill have to investigate tomorrow but I do not think it is coming from the tank itself or anywhere near it for the matter. The puddle formed directly under the fuel door behind the left rear tire.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

P.s. thanks for the diagram it is helpful
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Widowmaker[X]
I was on fumes when I pulled into the station and only put in 5 gallons so it was not an overfill issue. Ill have to investigate tomorrow but I do not think it is coming from the tank itself or anywhere near it for the matter. The puddle formed directly under the fuel door behind the left rear tire.
Well, I've read bits and pieces about the fueling issues with this car, and have heard various reasons speculated, but one way or another I assume fuel is getting backed up in the fill neck which causes the pump to cut off. You might not be overfilling but still splashing back to the overflow, I didn't see exactly where that is. Try different pumps too if this is the first time you saw it. Some have higher pressure than others. I plan on just avoiding the pump that didn't want to fill my car (and never again topping off since it didn't take a drop more!)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The way the saddle tanks work is the drivers side fills up and then overflows to the passenger side. If the hose inside of the tank that goes from the passenger side to the fuel pumps on the drivers side have any issues, the passenger side won't fill up, so you won't fill up the whole tank and it will react like an overfill. You can usually go back to the gas station after about an hour leaving it alone and put a few more gallons in. Another issue is the filler neck assembly was crimping or something causing it to act like an overfill.