Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future proofing daily driver for hard driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:34 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Redlining is hard on engines. IF you want proof against that then forged rods and pistons and ARP bolts should help. As far as the track (I'm assuming road course), you'll probably want to hit the suspension (sways, dampers, springs, caster/camber plates, control arms, panhard or watts). You'll also want to deal with brakes/lines/fluid, the preferred method is to have separate rotors and pads for street vs track and swap them for track days.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 AM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Buy the car and drive it stock. Find out what you like and don't like, then start modding. Basic suspension mods would be shocks and possibly springs. Stickier tires vs the stock all seasons would help on the track as well.

If you plan on driving it hard, just do it and when the engine breaks, figure out what you want to do.

As a side note, I don't know anything about your vision issue, but depth perception plays a major role in all aspects of driving, not just parking. Please be safe.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
Wow everyone in this community must have issues, including yourself.

First and foremost, I enjoy driving. Perhaps my wording was wrong, but I do not intend to red-line any vehicle at every single stop and go. That would be ridiculous. However, I do not intend to purchase a sports car to keep it under 3000rpm 24/7. Exploring the upper power-band is fun, and when done in a controlled manner can be completely safe.

Secondly, it is absurd of you to bring my personal health up in a topic about maintaining a car. My vision issues are merely limited to not being able to see depth, which increases the difficultly of tasks like parking. NOT driving in general. In my original post, my concern was with the physical size of the mustang and my ability to adjust my awareness of the size of the car, not about my concern of driving it.

This post was intended to seek information about potential modifications that can future proof my car for a lifetime of fun and intense driving. This doesn't mean red-lining it all the time, my wording was wrong. I wanted information on oils that would be better, or recommended suspension upgrades, or any parts on these cars that don't like being driven more aggressively than your grandma's buick. Clearly you, and/or this community, like to focus on the negative aspects and putting other people down.

I may be 19. But I don't know any 19 year olds who have the credit and the income to purchase a brand new mustang. And I certainly don't know any 19 year olds who would ask questions and plan ahead to the level that I have. Then again... I also don't have any friends who drive Honda Civics, because I never have and never will hang out with that crowd.
You wanted advice.

I am giving it.

Have you checked insurance? At your age on a 'sports car' you will be paying as much or more than your car payment for insurance. I don't know what your finances are, but $800 a month to drive a car is rather extreme in my opinion. It is also a quick way to ruin your 'good credit.'

Depth perception will also have a lot to do with daily street driving, unless your enjoy putting the nose of your car into the rear end of the car ahead of you, while you are redlining and driving it like a Ferrari.

Sure, I may come off as a dick, I have realized lately that I have been a bit negative in my postings here and elsewhere, for that I am sorry. You get upset and feel that we are all being Debbie Downers when you post something like wanting to beat on your car on a daily basis, forgive us if we are less than nice when we try to save you the $20,000+ that it will cost you learning a life lesson.

Enjoy your Mustang, and I hope you don't kill anyone with it.

And for the record, I don't have any friends that drive Hondas either, but it has been my experience that most folks that work on their cars and take pride in them are decent folks, no matter the make and model. Some of us were just fortunate enough to fall in love with Mustangs.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Farmed Out thread, I am 54 years young, I dropped the rear of my pony to correct the
roll center as the rear of these new ponies will float & fishtail stock. Also wider tires are
recommended. I got 235/55/17's on the stock base rims. 3.55:1 gear is in my future+
tuner. That's a good start for you too. Stay on the backroads to enjoy the twisty's.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
You wanted advice.

I am giving it.

Have you checked insurance? At your age on a 'sports car' you will be paying as much or more than your car payment for insurance. I don't know what your finances are, but $800 a month to drive a car is rather extreme in my opinion. It is also a quick way to ruin your 'good credit.'

Depth perception will also have a lot to do with daily street driving, unless your enjoy putting the nose of your car into the rear end of the car ahead of you, while you are redlining and driving it like a Ferrari.

Sure, I may come off as a dick, I have realized lately that I have been a bit negative in my postings here and elsewhere, for that I am sorry. You get upset and feel that we are all being Debbie Downers when you post something like wanting to beat on your car on a daily basis, forgive us if we are less than nice when we try to save you the $20,000+ that it will cost you learning a life lesson.

Enjoy your Mustang, and I hope you don't kill anyone with it.

And for the record, I don't have any friends that drive Hondas either, but it has been my experience that most folks that work on their cars and take pride in them are decent folks, no matter the make and model. Some of us were just fortunate enough to fall in love with Mustangs.
You hope I don't kill anyone.. lol. You are absolutely a lunatic, and do not deserve the right to post on this forum.

I'm not sure how you can comment on depth perception issues, unless you live with them on a daily basis like myself. You come to understand and learn, its not like every time I try to grab my tooth brush I miss by a foot. Once I understood the dimensions of my Hyundai, I can park just fine every time, and I no longer struggle with that. My other thread was simply asking if anyone had previously struggled to adjust to the dimensions of the mustang, just because it is lower, wider and the driver sits further back.

Yes I have checked insurance. I am not an idiot.

I want to step back and realize that this is just an Internet forum and I don't really care what you have to say, mostly because you blow things out of proportion. But perhaps you should take a step back and realize you have a negative attitude about everything and that's not the best way to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Moving on...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Anyway: wider, stickier tires for tracks. Suspension is going to be a must, in addition to some form of upgraded brakes.

Let's talk cooling. Is the stock radiator good enough to overcome the heat generated by track driving?

What about oil. Do you autocross guys run any special oils or other fluids (differential, transmission etc.)? I did read that people like to flush the stock transmission fluid and replace it.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
You hope I don't kill anyone.. lol. You are absolutely a lunatic, and do not deserve the right to post on this forum.
Watch it. You don't determine what "rights" he has. Don't ask for advice and then jump on someone else for offering it, no matter what they say. Welcome to the internet, better put on some thick skin or you're in for a rough time.

That said, he is right.

Your first problem is that you said you are willingly going to be redlining. Get away from that train of thought. Redlining is bad and will ruin your engine. I understand "exploring the upper RPMs" but that doesn't mean pegging it at the top. You'll be losing power up there anyways, so don't do it.

Best advice: take it to the track and see what it can do first. Get some driving lessons there. See what they say and then determine what you need to be doing to change the car's behavior to your liking.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by X3xMONGOOSEx3X
Cheektowaga/Depew about ten minutes from the Walden Galleria.
Oh nice. Yeah im here in N buffalo around the main street area
Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I'd check out a Geo Metro first...
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Fader
1st Gear Member

Default Hard Driving? Why?

Having read through your initial post, and the replies, I'll do my best to withhold judgement about your attitude, and strictly offer my opinion.

First, buying a brand new car with the intention of abusing it seems like a waste. To me, at least. Many schools of thought about cars, and how they should be treated, but make no mistake, driving your new Mustang as you describe is abuse, and will cost you a LOT of money to maintain. Between the mods you want to make, and the maintenance costs, your Mustang will quickly become a money-pit. But, it's your money, so knock yourself out.

Second, as others have suggested, learn your car. Drive it as you wish, and see what changes need to be made. High-Performance street-driving is not the same as High-Performance track-driving, and can require different mods. Some will be a matter of having duplicate parts (Tires, brakes, maybe even suspension), while others could be a matter of having a Tuner for different performance specs. Either way, you need to learn the intimate details of your car. Anything less will just be flushing your money down a toilet.

Best of luck with your new Baby.

Quick Reply: Future proofing daily driver for hard driving