Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
pff , i called the local shop and they said its not worth it and i should save for a blower. The cheapest blower is gonna run me around 4500 to 5K easy. How much should i pay for a wet kit, installation..etc and a window switch?
Installation is really easy with the Zex kit. I did it in the driveway in a couple of hours. Just get some jack stands to get the car up in the air a little bit so you can run lines from the trunk. Pull the wheel well liner out so it is easier to snake everything up into the engine bay and wiring into the cockpit. Instructions are very easy to follow.

Not sure why the shop said that nitrous isn't "worth it" - it is a tried and true power adder. The only downside is having to fill the bottle.

Now if you are looking for a power adder to use on the street, then they are correct and it isn't worth it. You can't run around with the nitrous turned on all the time or it will wear out the solenoids, and the nitrous tune will be a compromise for daily driving purposes. So nitrous is really a track only power adder. And the bottle doesn't last a long time. With a 75 shot I could get 10 passes before it was tough to keep the bottle pressure up.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Installation is really easy with the Zex kit. I did it in the driveway in a couple of hours. Just get some jack stands to get the car up in the air a little bit so you can run lines from the trunk. Pull the wheel well liner out so it is easier to snake everything up into the engine bay and wiring into the cockpit. Instructions are very easy to follow.

Not sure why the shop said that nitrous isn't "worth it" - it is a tried and true power adder. The only downside is having to fill the bottle.

Now if you are looking for a power adder to use on the street, then they are correct and it isn't worth it. You can't run around with the nitrous turned on all the time or it will wear out the solenoids, and the nitrous tune will be a compromise for daily driving purposes. So nitrous is really a track only power adder. And the bottle doesn't last a long time. With a 75 shot I could get 10 passes before it was tough to keep the bottle pressure up.

Well my friend is hooking me up with a wet kit for $200, it includes everything i need, plus window switch, and purge line. He said its a $1200 value, he took it out of his car and is wanting to get rid of it. Its Nitrous Express EFI single nozzle. He said it only needs a new relay and i should be set and obviously new wire.

If i get it tuned with the Nitrous, and i only use it on the track, would it affect the power iam getting on the streets without the Nitrous open and running? How would the tune work?

Last edited by Steven Bannoura; 06-26-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

No.. the car will not go faster while having nitrous without the nitrous being used at THAT moment.

The tune tells your computer how to tell the engine to work with the nitrous.
Without a tune for the nitrous you are a time bomb.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
No.. the car will not go faster while having nitrous without the nitrous being used at THAT moment.

The tune tells your computer how to tell the engine to work with the nitrous.
Without a tune for the nitrous you are a time bomb.
I completely understand, i was just wondering about normal street driving. Lets say, i get the kit and tune it with the kit on, would the car run like it runs now before i install the kit? So basically, can off, no Spray, how would the car run? like it runs now? I am just worried that the car would run weaker than it runs already if i tune it after the kit and not use it.

I know iam asking too many questions, I am pretty new to this

I basically want the car to run like it runs now, but when i take it to the track, i spray it and not destroy anything
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 AM
JimC

On the street and running the nitrous tune the car will not be running the same as it does on a regular street tune. The tune will be a compromise since you have to change the parameters for the nitrous. When I was running nitrous I had a specific nitrous tune and simply loaded it at the track when I got there.

It won't hurt the engine, but you will have lower performance without the nitrous because the tune will be set up for that addition.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

The nitrous tune is going to reduce your timing and richen up the air/fuel ratio. I run on my nitrous tune all the time since I never know when I'll want/need to open the bottle. Gas mileage and n/a performance suffer a bit but not much. Flashing a new tune is easy so if your only running it at the track its barely worth mentioning the time it takes when you compare it to the other track prep you would do.
I don't see a location for you which could put some other issues into the mix. Can you get 93 octane? I don't think you can get 93 in CA any more and that is a problem. In a very cold climate it will be harder to keep up bottle pressure as the volume goes down and temps drop. Again, track only use is less of an issue as bringing a spare bottle is easy.
Regarding the Shop's comments 'its not worth it' did you ask why? If he points out some of the same negatives we are then he's at least a somewhat knowledgeable shop, if he's in essence just scared of it he doesn't know squat. Everything has pluses and minuses, if he can't elaborate on them as a professional he's just a parts seller -find a real speed shop.

Last edited by jimkaray; 06-27-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

I Appreciate the help guys, but i decided to save for a blower of some kind. The guy i talked to at the shop wasn't worried about problems, but was saying that its a pain in the *** and its best to go with 2 tune, one for street and one for the kit. Still gonna cost me another 1000 with the tune and all that, and i don't visit the track often enough, so a blower might be a better option. I should be able to have enough saved for a blower in a few months.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If its only a few months... OF COURSE WAIT FOR THE SUPERCHARGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!