Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fair price for a Shifter Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

Question Fair price for a Shifter Installation?

I can't stand the shifter in my car. It is way too notchy and noisy and can sometimes be a bear to shift from 1-2 when you get too heavy with the pedal. I don't have the tools or the know how to get the job done. I called a few shops today and the best quote was $110. I figure that is fair if it's a 2 hour job, tops. What do you guys think about that price? Be honest.

Also, where is the best place to buy the MGW shifter? I feel like $400+ for a shifter is a bit much. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I have the same problem hitting 2nd at times when going too fast, and I also am going with the MGW. I dont have it yet so i cant really review it, but in comparison to the other shifter options available it seems to be so much more complete and in a different league of build quality and engineering with more thought put into it and all of its components. The other shifter options end up costing 350$ and dont include as much as the MGW does. 110 for install is fine, that seems fair since the MGW looks pretty hard to install from the videos ive seen. A shop quoted me 135$. I think MGW only sells directly to customers and is bascially always sold out, i ordered mine on the 7th and it hasnt even shipped yet.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Does the MGW have a bottom bracket or double bottom bracket? That and having to remove all the center section and dash. $100 an hour is standard for a Mustang shop.
Have you seen the U-Tube? It's shows step by step and it's not as hard as you think, unless you have to start removing other parts. If you can screw it up and still get to work the next day try it.

A straight driveshaft and a steel braided clutch-line will help the shifts also.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't pay more than $0 after having done it myself in the two hours you're quoting. The installation CD they include with it makes it incredibly simple. Seriously, don't pay someone. I just put mine on and did a load of laundry at the same time and the laundry was done when I finished installing it. This is my first manual car, and definitely the first time I've looked at a shifter, so if I can do it, you can. Just watch the video they include beforehand, then use it as your step-by-step instructions to do it yourself. It's incredibly easy. After having done this and all my own mods (listed in my "garage"), I don't know why I ever used to pay someone else.

I believe you can only buy it direct from MGW, but the price of entry is worth it, as others will chime in and tell you.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

yea i dont know about the '11+ install but the one for the 4.6 was pretty simple and doesnt take much to do, + if you buy the tools to do it, you get to keep them and can continue doing car work yourself
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

MGW only sells directly.
The reason is for "quality control" purposes. They only make 50 shifter assemblies at a time, then everything is hand fitted and tested...pricey, but WELL worth it.

As far as the install...sure a lift and an extra set of hands makes things easier, but the install on the 11+ isn't so bad. We had more trouble fitting the rubber boots on things than we did any other part of the install.
Videos available from MGW are easy to follow and hit all of the needed points.

Take your time and it will be installed quicker than you know it =)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Im considering a short throw for my GT500. I was wondering how hard it is myself.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

I believe I spent around $300 for MGW shifter in 08 for my 08 Mustang. Go to their site. The installation is easy....you dont have to have special skills or special tools for the 45 minute installation. My brother sat beside me and read the directions from the installation directions provided. It was simple!
MGW is the best shifter I have ever had........over the years Ive had about all of the aftermarket shifters......MGW is the best!

Last edited by Mayberry40; 07-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

http://mgwltd.com
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

That price is pretty solid for install.

But with that being said, I still wouldn't waste the money. I did the shifter and bracket install myself. It is easy and a fun little project. It feels good to get your hands a little dirty and do something yourself.

Make sure to buy the bracket and shifter. The bracket is probably more important to getting a better shifting car. The stock rubber POS will mess up your shifts and cause slop even with an MGW shifter.

Quick Reply: Fair price for a Shifter Installation?