Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:02 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default grinding sound

I dont know if this is normal, i think i had it since i had my car. My 13' GT auto has 5k mile as of right now. Whenever i put in reverse or drive from park i get this grinding sound (sounds like coming from the transmission), it sounds like its engaging but not sure. The noise will disappear after its put in gear(drive, reverse or park). I also notice it helps if i hold the brake for couple second after shifting it to drive, reverse or park to minimize noise. Is this normal for an auto?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Your auto transmission shouldn't have any kind of grinding noise when going into drive, reverse or park. You may get a slight "thump" from the torque converter engaging, but nothing should sound metal on metal.

I would take your Mustang to the dealer and have them take a closer look. Any issues they find should be covered under your drivetrain warranty!

Shane
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

The noise is kinda like a grinding or scraping sound. I do get that thump after the noise. What could be the cause? Any 11+ gt auto owner out there experiencing the same noise?

Last edited by winkawak; 08-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Nope, that sounds like a warranty repair to me.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

..............I fckin hate going to dealerships................they always mistreat my car. I have very bad experiences with this Ford dealership near my house. At the drop off they pretend to be professional by putting in paper mate and wrap your steering wheel with plastic film. But when i pick my car up i see my steering wheel full of oil grease, dirt/grass on my floor, and light scratching around my steering wheel/gauges/dashboard that i have never seen before. Not to mention every setting in the car has been tempered with. Seat is all the way down to the ground, speaker on blast, sound setting is changed too, max ac........ Also a quarter of my gas tank is gone............ The most outrageous thing they did was probably applying tire dressing on side of my thread. Almost cause me to crash into a curb during a right turn and the whole way home i feel like im ice skating. I had to spend an hour in hot Florida sun to wash and wipe the dressing off. I went in for a warranty repair, I never asked for a car wash let alone tire shining, I know they trying to be nice but can they at least ask me first.

Last edited by winkawak; 08-05-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well good chance the Ford rep will see this post they can help take care of that. Any other dealerships close that it could go to. If it's under warranty it makes no sense to pay to have it fixed or try to fix it and void the warranty.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

I did call in to complaint to their service manager, he apologizes and offer me a free oil change...........like yea ima going through this again. Theres another 30min away, from the look of it it has even worse rating and complaints.

Last edited by winkawak; 08-05-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Well just hold out the Ford rep is great on here Detroit takes warranty repairs and service very seriously. She will get you in touch with your regional rep for your area.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

It doesnt matter, im not going back again. I prefer going to shops thats not a dealership, ill have them take a look and if its anything expensive, ill contact Deysha myself.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by winkawak
I dont know if this is normal, i think i had it since i had my car. My 13' GT auto has 5k mile as of right now. Whenever i put in reverse or drive from park i get this grinding sound (sounds like coming from the transmission), it sounds like its engaging but not sure. The noise will disappear after its put in gear(drive, reverse or park). I also notice it helps if i hold the brake for couple second after shifting it to drive, reverse or park to minimize noise. Is this normal for an auto?
Now winkawak, you know I got you! Let me get this escalated for you and have it taken care of. Please make an appointment and PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can help.

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Well good chance the Ford rep will see this post they can help take care of that. Any other dealerships close that it could go to. If it's under warranty it makes no sense to pay to have it fixed or try to fix it and void the warranty.
Thank you for the mention, DocSnickers!

Deysha