Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010+ quick magnet mod for your dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM
iq2002

Default 2010+ quick magnet mod for your dashboard

I wanted to share a quick hack I did on my 2010 v6 using a magnet.

I'm a minimalist with my dashboard and I don't like using any phone mounts for my car. Still, because I'm heavily dependent on my iPhone for directions and traffic redirects I've retired my GPS module which used to sit pretty right in the center lighter socket using a shortened Arkon mount.

What I wanted was to be able to "attach" my phone on the dashboard without any visible mounts and this is the solution I came up with:

What you see attached on the lid of the socket cover is a magnet from a Ram magnetic mount. I used a simple two sided wallmount tape to attach it.

Next is the metal panel that the Ram mount came with for you to attach it against the magnet.

Finally, the red (sticker) side of the panel is show attached to the dashboard socked magnetically. I would have loved to have shown you the final picture showing the actual phone attached but ce la vie I don't have a case at the moment and I wouldn't be able to take any pictures of the phone itself without a 2nd camera anyways.

The magnet seems strong enough to hold my phone and I've been looking for an iPhone "cover" made of actual metal so I don't need to attach the metal slate to my cover. And for those of you wondering already: no I don't think it will hold a tablet. Sure you can get a strong enough magnet (that might NOT ruin your electronics) to hold something so big, but the placement of that socket cover makes it near impossible to lie a tablet flat against the dashboard's sufrace. In my measurements, the maximum size of the device it might work shouldn't be be larger than 3" x 6". That takes the Nexus 7 (2nd gen) out of the equation.

Safety: I'm no electrical engineer but I'm guessing sicking a magnet against the light socket is okay (they're not touching btw). The socket remains functional and I may use it for the GPS on occasional road trips. Your feedbacks are appreciated.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
asoka05
1st Gear Member

I don't think putting magnet at the accessory plug is what you should worry about, but your phone.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

pretty sure the magnet will **** up your phone, brah...

hope you havent done any damage.

I actually do the same thing in my car, but i use velcro. (wish i had a pic)

I just stuck some velcro stick to the dash, and another strip to my phone. I stick my phone on and off the pad super easily. I love it and it cost me like $2.99. probably has saved from accidents plenty.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I do not think it will mess up the phone actually. Phones use solid state drives for their memory so they would not be affected like an old fashion hard drive in a computer would. Phones also use LCD screens so a magnate will not effect the screen like it would do to a tube screen.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:27 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

A magnet won't hurt the phone, but it will cause your compass to be incorrect and possibly affect other sensors. Not the best for using your phone for nav, but if you want to mount it for other reasons like music then it's not bad.

My friend has a magnet case on his iPhone (mechanic, he can stick it to what he's working on). I can ask him what kind it is if you're interested.

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
I do not think it will mess up the phone actually. Phones use solid state drives for their memory so they would not be affected like an old fashion hard drive in a computer would. Phones also use LCD screens so a magnate will not effect the screen like it would do to a tube screen.
Not to mention you'd need a FAR bigger magnet than that to damage a hard drive.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
iq2002

Default ram mount

thanks for all the responses. i'm fairly sure the magnet won't affect the phone. compass and navigation gps set aside, function shouldn't be an issue i'm guessing.

just to clarify on the ram mount's model, it's the
RAM Mounting Systems RAP-SB-178-300U RAM Mounting Systems RAP-SB-178-300U
(amazon link). Which is a dedicated magnet mount for car/phone. Either way, once i have a case and have a chance to use this setup extensively as is I'll post results.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
iq2002

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
A magnet won't hurt the phone, but it will cause your compass to be incorrect and possibly affect other sensors. Not the best for using your phone for nav, but if you want to mount it for other reasons like music then it's not bad.

My friend has a magnet case on his iPhone (mechanic, he can stick it to what he's working on). I can ask him what kind it is if you're interested.

Not to mention you'd need a FAR bigger magnet than that to damage a hard drive.
Would love to know what iPhone case that is!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Will not effect the compass either it's digital its not a magnetic compass in the phone lol. Any smart phone in the past few years hell even five years will be immune to magnates.

Only thing I would be worried about is how strong the magnate is. Would suck to hit a bump and it flies off.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Will not effect the compass either it's digital its not a magnetic compass in the phone lol. Any smart phone in the past few years hell even five years will be immune to magnates.

Only thing I would be worried about is how strong the magnate is. Would suck to hit a bump and it flies off.
No, a phone's compass still measures the magnetic field (or rather the resulting electrical resistance) to get it's value, and yes, it would still be affected by a magnet. A GPS based compass getting your direction simply by your movement and direction of travel wouldn't be, but any phone with an actual built in compass can be affected by a magnet.

Edit: Didn't like the way that wording came out the first time, quick fix!

Last edited by AJ06GT; 08-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM
iq2002

i thought i should post a quick update on the little magnet project.
the magnet does NOT affect the phone and the gps navigation. i used waze and google maps in the test with no issues.

i ended up purchasing a case rather than attaching a metal sticker to my ptu case. the case is metal with a rubber coating that kept the phone in both horizontal and vertical position steadily. i'm posting a picture of the case on the dashoard. no iphone since i had to take the picture.

the only gripe that i had about this whole setup isn't so much the magnet as is the metal case. i ended up buying a hongkong made case from newegg. the case was made well enough but over time i realized that i was constantly loosing antenna bars and even my wifi when i was home. i suspected that this was because the metal parts of the case covered mostly the antennas that hide under the edges of the phone.

the cut offs were always sporatic, as if the metal part just barely got in between the signal and the phone. while i didn't have any dropped calls or issues using the phone's data or wifi it bothered me enough to want to go back to my ptu case and stick a metal back to it.

well this is about it. i'm also posting the last bit of work i had put off for months now: securing the usb port into the middle comparment

i had originally bought this guy as a v6 base and in the last 3 years i spent time giving it a GT fascia change with fog lights, a SYNC system i bought off ebay for $50 and i was in the process of trying to get a tablet or some kind of gps screen to the radio. my non-invasive and invisible method turned into this little bit of magnetic hack that seemed to meet my needs fine until i sell my baby at the end of this month :* i'm moving to finer pastures due to the missus and i'm thinking i won't be revisiting the mustang pastures for a while.