Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fed up with my brakes and my mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
If you want an even better braking experience, get SS lines. Best mod I did for my brakes. Did more good than new rotors and pads.
Good to hear! I have a Steeda kit in the garage ready to get installed if my garage ever gets below 120 degrees...
Old 08-11-2013, 02:07 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Ok guys well my car is due for some maintenance anyways so I'll talk to my guy about the pads being glazed and possibly needing a replacement. It's so hard to find competent mechanics in smaller, isolated towns.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
S19706
2nd Gear Member

cheaper solution is try wagner thermo quiets cheap and good...!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinn
Good to hear! I have a Steeda kit in the garage ready to get installed if my garage ever gets below 120 degrees...
A Motive power bleeder makes bleeding the brakes so simple too.

I remember how hot SC gets.....hottest summer I ever had was in Columbia in 86 while attending USC.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

for whatever reason my gen Mustang (08) squeals also. One day I squirted some brake cleaner fluid on the rotors and pads best I could(with the wheel still on) and the sound went away for a day at best. So cheap pads make noise. Did the engineers miss this? I put the cheapest pads and rotors on a 93 Saturn and never had noise. Its just Ford.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Angry

I have had squeaking breaks on EVERY car I have ever owned after a brake job. I went as far as to getting OEM pads and rotors from Newtakeoff for my 06 and had the dealer install them. They ended up squeaking, but good news, it was only CONSTANTLY as I engaged them from a slow roll. After multiple visits to the dealership with only 1-2 week resolutions at a time (plus me doing all the suggested bedding proceedrues I could find), I gave up. I have almost come to the conclusion that when it's time for new brakes, it's time for a new car . The squeaking had me ready to bail out of the car on the highway and let it coreen into an overpass support . Traded that car for my 2013 and got lower payments...
Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
A Motive power bleeder makes bleeding the brakes so simple too.

I remember how hot SC gets.....hottest summer I ever had was in Columbia in 86 while attending USC.
86 is child's play, It was about 98 yesterday. I pulled out my original fuel pump to swap in my new unit and I was dripping sweat everywhere. Then I took my new unit out of the protective bag only to notice it was broken...
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I would suspect the pads were not ever properly bedded
into the new rotors.

This will cause squeeling because the new pads will glaze
over pretty quick.
^ This. OP, I had the same set-up as you in my '02. I installed them myself and followed the bedding procedure. No squeaks. Brakes should not squeal/squeak, and there is a solution. Switch the pads like an earlier post said, and that will help narrow down whether it is pads or rotors.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If all else fails, I use CRC De-Squeak. It sprays on the rotor.
"Metalic formula fills grooves and imperfections in the friction surface that commonly cause squeaks and squeals".
It comes in a spray can, think I got it from NAPA. I've used it as a last resort, seems to get rid of the squeals for about 6 months to a year.
Make sure you don't spray it on anything but the rotors, it may not be able to be cleaned off metal or paint.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by akdoggie
I have to ask, just what did the SS lines do to improve your braking? You said that was the best mod you did for the brakes? Just wondering?
Its called volumetric expansion.
Better control over the caliper pressures.
SS lines expand less than the OEM rubber ones.
Its easier to modulate the brakes.
Like uncooked spaghetti compared to cooked spaghetti.

Quick Reply: Fed up with my brakes and my mechanics