Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably getting a Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 AM
dtul

Default Probably getting a Mustang GT

Hey guys, this is my first thread on this site. As the title says I think I will probably buy a gently used 2013 Mustang GT or a new 2014. I am leaning towards a 2013 with around 10,000 miles just because it seems like it would have few problems and I would save a few thousand dollars probably. However, I am open to suggestions so do you guys think I should buy new or slightly used? I am also considering the Camaro SS and Challenger R/T, but the Mustang is the front-runner by far. Anyways I have a few questions which I will list below.

How reliable are the 2013-2014 Mustangs?

Will I hate myself for getting an automatic? This will be my only car until I pick up a Raptor or something similar next summer and I don't want a manual on my only car. I figure I can just use SelectShift and have fun when I want to and have the ease of an automatic for most of my other driving. This also is one of my biggest problems with the car though. The Camaro and Challenger both get paddle-shifters with the automatic, while the Mustang just gets a stupid rocker-switch. How difficult do you guys think it would be to retrofit paddle shifters and somehow rewire the rocker-switch wiring to work with them instead? The Camaro and Challenger both have a paddle-shifter retrofit you can buy, but I cannot find anything for the Mustang. This seems like a small issue, but it is probably the biggest problem that I have with the GT and the most likely reason for me to go with the Chevy.

One other feature I like are the Track Apps in the instrument cluster, but what package or trim level do you have to get to have those? I really want as close to a base model Mustang as I can get because I plan on doing a lot of aftermarket work to the interior anyway (aftermarket NAV, improved sound system, integrated radar detector, etc.)

A more general question I have is how do you guys handle insurance when it comes to mods? I have heard some companies don't accept drivers with modified cars. I have about $10,000 worth of stuff so far that I would do to my Mustang if that is the car I get, but I am worried about insuring it. As it sits insurance is already going to be around $400-$500 a month for the car because I just turned 21 and I totaled a car when I was 19. I think if I can keep my car under my parents insurance it will be cheaper, but I don't know if I can do that if the cars in my name. Also I am not sure how mod-friendly Amica is, so even if I could do that I may not be able to keep it with them.

Anyways I'm sure I will think of more questions, but until then I appreciate any help or insight you guys can give. I look forward to possibly becoming a more regular member of the forum if I end up with a Mustang.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 AM
SlvrS197

Damn that's a lot for insurance...even with the age and 1 wreck you should be able to shop around and find it for much cheaper than that..
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

The only car that I would pick above the mustang would be the chally with the 392 but since you're looking at the RT and the SS I would say mustang with a doubt. GL!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

auto tranny in these is good and has potential to be faster in 1/4 mile and accelleration and can usually handle up to ~1000 hp

and yea get quotes from different companies.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

The trick IMO with aftermarket mods and insurance is this. They generally don't pay for anything 6 months after it is purchased. For instance, lets say you bolt on a cool new chin spoiler. Over the 6 months, they will prorate what you spent and after 6 months, you don't get jack for it. That's what I went through when I totalled my first mustang.

So instead of letting them jack your rates up, never bringing them down, don't tell them about any aftermarket parts. And more importantly, don't wreck your car. I dont think you can insure the car under your parents policy unless they have an insurable interest which means their names are in their somewhere.

I've never heard of any aftermarket paddle shift kits for the mustangs. Im not a big fan of automatics when Im just cruising around raising heck, but when Im stuck in stop and go traffic, I admit I'd much rather be driving the wife's auto GT than my Shelby. Not sure why having your only car be a manual is a problem though. With proper practice, a manual will do better in inclement weather than an automatic IMO...
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
The only car that I would pick above the mustang would be the chally with the 392 but since you're looking at the RT and the SS I would say mustang with a doubt. GL!
Speaking of...whats the status on your ride Soldier?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:47 PM
SlvrS197

Yea for the price also, the auto 5.0's are second to none in their class.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
dtul

Originally Posted by wcgman
The trick IMO with aftermarket mods and insurance is this. They generally don't pay for anything 6 months after it is purchased. For instance, lets say you bolt on a cool new chin spoiler. Over the 6 months, they will prorate what you spent and after 6 months, you don't get jack for it. That's what I went through when I totalled my first mustang.

So instead of letting them jack your rates up, never bringing them down, don't tell them about any aftermarket parts. And more importantly, don't wreck your car. I dont think you can insure the car under your parents policy unless they have an insurable interest which means their names are in their somewhere.

I've never heard of any aftermarket paddle shift kits for the mustangs. Im not a big fan of automatics when Im just cruising around raising heck, but when Im stuck in stop and go traffic, I admit I'd much rather be driving the wife's auto GT than my Shelby. Not sure why having your only car be a manual is a problem though. With proper practice, a manual will do better in inclement weather than an automatic IMO...
So you got in an accident and the insurance company did not cover the mods you had added on? Or did you not tell the insurance company about them and you just took the loss after the accident. Also, isn't this illegal? Can't the insurance company deny all coverage in the event of an accident or something, especially if it is your fault, if there are parts on the car that they did not know about?

I think I have heard of an instance where a guy in a lifted truck was involved in an accident and the insurance company did not know about the lift. Subsequently they denied all coverage, and the guy ended up having to pay something like $300,000 out of pocket for damages to the other party. The other people did sue the insurance company and the lawsuit is still ongoing, but I think it has been a saga that has gone on for like 10 years now or something.

Also those of you that do have the automatic, is the rocker-switch SelectShift easy to get used to and not a big deal after a while?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

If you plan on getting a Raptor next summer, then I would lean towards a manual. I'm old school and enjoy a manual for my HPDE track days.
The bugs have been worked out of the 2013/14 models and perhaps a good deal is available on the used GT.

My Acura TL Type S has paddle shifters as well as an electronic mode on the console stick shifter. No big deal as it's not a German dual clutch transmission, so the paddle shifters are a bit sloppy and don't hold the gears well. The ECU tends to shift the car as a default protection system.

If the difference between a new and used car is only a few thousand dollars, then get the new one and put your own driving style miles on it.
My son is 24 years old and I will carry him under my insurance until he reaches 25 so he doesn't get ripped on rates. I am the registered owner of his car.

Last edited by 427Roush; 08-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

It's all personal preference (you'd probably need to try learning to drive stick to know) but there's no way I would buy an automatic muscle or sports/sporty car that I want to have fun in. Automatics put me to sleep, manuals make me feel alive. I have a short throw shifter and I feel like i'm driving a race car every time I shift... it's fun as hell

Your insurance sounds way high.. i'm only a few years older than you and only pay about $90 a month. I've had someone run into me and total my car when I was younger, but besides that it was a couple fender benders and only 1 was my fault.

Finally, if I were in your shoes, i'd be getting a lightly used 2013 so I have around $5k to spend on the mods that are inevitable.. starting mods: intake/tune, exhaust, wheels, lowering springs, etc.

Quick Reply: Probably getting a Mustang GT