Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Default My first mod

My first mod: a strut tower brace. Bought a torque wrench so I could do this.

I installed something...in my engine bay. I'm a gear head today

This install was so easy there was no swearing involved. I'll try something harder, next.

It sure is dusty in there. I should do something about that...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A torque wrench is one of your better purchases and will see a lot of action. I don't know how I managed without one for a # of years.

As far as the dusty engine bay, whenever I wash our Stangs, the engine bay gets wiped down. Once it's clean, it's pretty easy to keep it that way. I usually let the engine bay in my SUV go longer and it will sometimes take the pressure washer to get it "right".

Sweet look with the brace, btw.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM
NTO_GUY
Former Sponsor

Congratulations!
Nothing like that feeling after you conquer your first DIY install project.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

AWESOME!!!... be sure to release the tension on the new wrench, set it back to zero
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Congrats OP... what's next?

Originally Posted by Nuke
A torque wrench is one of your better purchases and will see a lot of action. I don't know how I managed without one for a # of years.

As far as the dusty engine bay, whenever I wash our Stangs, the engine bay gets wiped down. Once it's clean, it's pretty easy to keep it that way. I usually let the engine bay in my SUV go longer and it will sometimes take the pressure washer to get it "right".

Sweet look with the brace, btw.
Is there a specific way you wash your engine bay? I have not only car audio amplifier wiring to the battery (should remove it since there's no sub/amp in there), but also the blower and other kinds of wiring with it. Not sure if spraying it down with water would be the best thing... Might just wipe it down real good with cloth and water
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vixr
AWESOME!!!... be sure to release the tension on the new wrench, set it back to zero
Thanks. By the vagueness of the instructions I wasn't sure if I should set in on its lowest tension or release it entirely. I've done the latter.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
Congrats OP... what's next?
Thanks. Next up is something I'm not going to do myself: 3.31 gears. Then I might tackle some suspension mods myself. My goal is to replicate or better the performance package I should have gotten when I bought it
Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

congrats. Always great to get the first mod on but then it kinda ruins you cause you will start to see more and more money spent.

Depending on your skill level, don't be afraid to reach out to people in your area to help you install stuff. The gears should definitely be done by a professional but the suspension is nothing to mess with unless you know what you are doing. That's how I learned to do a lot of mods myself.....asked other people to help out and if your willing to offer up a 6 pack or so...usually they are more than willing.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheYeti
Depending on your skill level, don't be afraid to reach out to people in your area to help you install stuff. The gears should definitely be done by a professional but the suspension is nothing to mess with unless you know what you are doing.
I have a co-pilot in mind. He doesn't know it, yet, but I have a co-pilot
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amyhughes
I have a co-pilot in mind. He doesn't know it, yet, but I have a co-pilot
Haha, nothing like volunteering people to get stuff done without them even knowing!

The strut bar looks awesome.....definitely one of the mods that I need to do to mine.

Quick Reply: My first mod