Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant "chirping" squeak from rear suspension- LCA'S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
I do not mean to hijack this at all, but for everyone's info, is this something that needs to be done regardless of whether I'm experiencing symptoms? Stock LCAs here and I didn't touch them while doing my springs. No problems so far...
I would if I were you. If the bushings are in a bind/twist they will wear out a lot quicker. Good luck...
Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by petrock
I would if I were you. If the bushings are in a bind/twist they will wear out a lot quicker. Good luck...
+1. Most suspension parts need to be torqued to spec with the system loaded at ride height.

This prevents binding of the bushing. Binding puts additional stress on the bushing and can cause it to twist and break up. At the very least you end up with squeaking. That's your bushings calling out for help!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys that is probably the issue, never loosened up the LCA's and let them re-set themselves after the installing the lowering springs, have to check to see if the bushings are even still good, but I might just order new aftermarket LCA's. Also, it seems viewpoints are conflicting about whether or not an adjustable panhard bar is necessary in this situation with just rear lowering springs. Currently I DO NOT have one installed.....
Old 08-31-2013, 08:03 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Talked to a mechanic today about it. He obviously said that to really know I'd have to bring it in but as far as suspension lube goes, he said the bushings aren't going to take any grease so he doesn't think that will do much.

I do think it's the LCAs though. Was racing around with a friend on the highway the other day and hit some real high speeds. The car was whining like a mother ****er after that in the rear. Maybe the shocks too? Horrible chirping sounds. Sounds like animals in the back of the car. It has 82k miles with original everything in the suspension except lowering springs. Again, it did this even before the lowering springs were in but seems *slightly* more often now that they are in. Barely though.

Last edited by mustangspotential; 08-31-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Haha we definitely have the same problem chirps like crazy on the highway like animals are back there. I've been pretty busy lately but am going to do change the LCA's when I get a chance. Keep me posted if you get to it before me and it solves your issue. I might just do the shocks at the same time too since I still have the original ones installed.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SLVRSTNG06
Haha we definitely have the same problem chirps like crazy on the highway like animals are back there. I've been pretty busy lately but am going to do change the LCA's when I get a chance. Keep me posted if you get to it before me and it solves your issue. I might just do the shocks at the same time too since I still have the original ones installed.
Sounds good, I'll keep you informed and you do the same. Shocks are so easy to replace it's a joke, so if I'm going down there to diagnose things/replace LCA's, definitely replacing the shocks.

The struts are a different story, half/one day's work with the assemblies.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by SLVRSTNG06
thanks guys that is probably the issue, never loosened up the LCA's and let them re-set themselves after the installing the lowering springs, have to check to see if the bushings are even still good, but I might just order new aftermarket LCA's. Also, it seems viewpoints are conflicting about whether or not an adjustable panhard bar is necessary in this situation with just rear lowering springs. Currently I DO NOT have one installed.....
To figure out if you need an adjustable panhard...just look at the car from the rear. Do the rear wheels look off-center? Does one side seem to stick out more from the body on one side versus the other? If they do, then an adjustable panhard is needed. If not, then you don't need one.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

*UPDATE*- Installed new J&M rear lower control arms today in place of my worn out originals and my horrible annoying squeak/chirp is finally gone!! when I took the old ones out the bushings were shot and dried out. If you have the squeak as shown in the youtube video in the beginning of this thread, it is your lower control arms. replace 'em!! recommend these J&M's so far.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Worn out bushings will cause weird problems. I will say that a slightly cheaper, but more labor intensive, option is to replace the stock, worn out, bushings with polyurethane bushings. I like Energy Suspension’s bushings. Its a lot cheaper then new control arms. But the labor is higher because you have to remove the old bushings, which can be a PITA sometimes. But with a little heat, a C-Clamp style ball joint press and a bunch of patience you can do it in your driveway in a day or so.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 AM
winksozwm

I've also heard this could be the exhaust hanger.

Quick Reply: Constant "chirping" squeak from rear suspension- LCA'S?