Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Louvers from American Muscle issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Sorry guyz, but the Velcro idea may sound great but in reality you run the risk of losing your louvers to vandals. Too many folks have had their aftermarket parts ripped off even WITH the 3M tape direct to the body or window. But that's your call...
I think you just made a valid point for Velcro. With Velcro you can actually remove the louvers if you are in a not so great area or if your car will be left alone for awhile. As you stated, even with tape they will take them if they want them. At least with Velcro you have the option to remove them, lock them in your trunk and put them back on when you return.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Let's face it, if they want something that bad it's gone. But with Velcro, you make it easy for them. Most petty thieves won't take the time to pull off parts that have been properly applied. If the parts are installed correctly, it's a real BITCH to remove them.

Glad to hear that AM is working with the OP but, of course, with AM's past record, their great customer service is to be expected.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Very true. They will take whatever they really want. My buddy had a saleen wing on his fox body and they took that while he was having dinner at a restaurant. Ripped it off the bolts. So I don't think dbl sided tape will deter them either. Even if its 3m.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 PM
05screaminyellow
1st Gear Member

if they want it bad enough they will take the whole darn car lol
Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Anything that causes the bad guyz take more time helps the owner. That's why security systems are designed to DELAY the bad guyz; you can never truly stop them (at least the ones that know what they're doing). Time is a thief's enemy. A louver installed with Velcro takes less time to remove than one installed directly with 3M tape.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Anything that causes the bad guyz take more time helps the owner. That's why security systems are designed to DELAY the bad guyz; you can never truly stop them (at least the ones that know what they're doing). Time is a thief's enemy. A louver installed with Velcro takes less time to remove than one installed directly with 3M tape.
Ok, let's point out the obvious, professionals will take the entire car, not the louvers. Second, nobody can tell the difference between louvers being applied with Velcro vs. tape just by looking at them. If they do get pulled off its because that person was already committed to stealing your louvers. Now this is a fun and friendly debate but it comes down to personal choice. Me, I plan to Velcro mine on as soon as they come back from the shop. I don't imagine too many people will be going around tugging at my louvers but if I feel they are at risk, ill tug them off myself and put them safely in my trunk until I return to the car.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by XEDES
Ok, let's point out the obvious, professionals will take the entire car, not the louvers. Second, nobody can tell the difference between louvers being applied with Velcro vs. tape just by looking at them. If they do get pulled off its because that person was already committed to stealing your louvers. Now this is a fun and friendly debate but it comes down to personal choice. Me, I plan to Velcro mine on as soon as they come back from the shop. I don't imagine too many people will be going around tugging at my louvers but if I feel they are at risk, ill tug them off myself and put them safely in my trunk until I return to the car.
There's one more risk that isn't accounted for here. Assume for a moment that someone with the best of intentions tugs/bumps/etc... on your shiny new louvers and they are kind of a klutz and all of the sudden they are on the ground.

Really doubt that would happen with the 3M tape.

But you're right, personal choice. I'm with Nuke that I think there is too much risk with velcro myself.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
There's one more risk that isn't accounted for here. Assume for a moment that someone with the best of intentions tugs/bumps/etc... on your shiny new louvers and they are kind of a klutz and all of the sudden they are on the ground.

Really doubt that would happen with the 3M tape.

But you're right, personal choice. I'm with Nuke that I think there is too much risk with velcro myself.
True and just as likely to happen as someone passing by your car and having an allergic reaction to the adhesive on your 3m tape and in a fit of rage rips your louvers off and throws them across the lot in order to cure his allergic reaction. THIS would not happen with Velcro.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Have you ever tried to rip a louver off that has been installed with the proper prep and cure? Even Schwarzenegger himself would have a time with it. All I'm saying is that 3M tape directly to the body is at least a DELAY to removal compared to velcro. But again, it's your call. I ask that you not be too embarrassed to post when your louvers have "disappeared".
Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM
XEDES
2nd Gear Member

Lol! Deal.

Quick Reply: Louvers from American Muscle issue