Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Override Speed Limiter on Convertible Top?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Whalensdad

Default Override Speed Limiter on Convertible Top?

Is there a way to bypass the speed limiter for opening/closing the convertible top? Not that I'd want to do it at high speeds, but I sometimes find myself in stop and go traffic and would like to open/close the top in those situations without having to be at 3mph.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Only if you want to rip that top off.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

most manufacturers have their speed limiter set to a speed they know the top can handle. Cloth/vinyl top acts like a wind sail and while not a big deal to the car itself, will bend/break hinges and fabric at higher speeds.

I've only seen hardtops where the top remains in the horizontal position during the entire process set their limiters faster....
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I would bet you just need to use a power source that is straight off the ignition switch to the power top switch. That should bypass all the top safety items. Be sure to do a video when the top leaves the car....
Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

^ LMAO! I want to see that!!! Be sure to explain what you did to the guy behind you whose car your top hits!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Reminds me of the guy that installed a remote start kit on his Manual Mustang...against the advice given in the thread he started about wanting to do it.

Fast forward a few months and a Dealership had left the car in gear while they were servicing it and remotely started it on accident. Car ended up in a pond. Owner tried to sue the dealer.... the owner lost of course. All the while the owner was on this forum bitchin and whining.

At first everyone was sympathetic, then someone posted the link about the advice, after that, he was blackballed.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I did 40mph once in a 07 gt/cs when I forgot to put my top all the way down. Dumb-*** move on my part, but nothing was wrong with the top afterwards. Not to say you can't 100% fubar your top with a stunt like that. I got lucky, must have had a tailwind.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Whalensdad

Geez, you're all so depressing . I only wanted to be able to do it in stop and go traffic. I have no interest in raising/lowering while cruising down the turnpike.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

All it takes is one mistake to twist the frame and cause issues. I always did my 07 GT vert in stop light traffic with no issues over the speed restriction. Try it with a SN95.....the parking brake must also be up at least one notch....

A coworker lowered my '64 Comet Caliente while doing 25 mph....bought me a new frame for the car....way back.in '72. Damage is hit and miss with each situation. Is it worth an extra couple mph to chance damage??żż
Old 09-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whalensdad
Geez, you're all so depressing . I only wanted to be able to do it in stop and go traffic. I have no interest in raising/lowering while cruising down the turnpike.
I guess I don't understand why you want to defeat the speed limiter for that. If you're raising or lowering the top in stop-n-go traffic, then I'd think you'd be... stopped. Or at least not ABLE to go faster than 3 MPH. But since I haven't owned a vert for about 35 years, who am I to talk?

Quick Reply: Override Speed Limiter on Convertible Top?