Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips for driving mustang in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Dedicated snow tires, go easy on the throttle and give plenty of space between your car and any others. I lived in Alaska, drove a RWD Superduty at work, drove my girlfriend's Mustang, and drove my own Impala. All did just fine with snow/ice tires. Never had to put extra weight over any rear axles. We're talking about Alaska too, roads are solid ice. Drove RWD Superduty in Korea during the winter on regular all seasons with no issues. Drove my 07 here in 6 inches of snow on Pirellis, not one issue because I took my time and light on the controls. But you SHOULD get dedicated snow/ice tires. And go find an empty parking once it snows lot so you can learn how to drive calmly during skidding.

edit: forgot to say alot of people do find weight over the axle to help grip and if you use sandbags, you can cut one open and use the sand to help get out of being stuck.

Last edited by Ricardo; 09-07-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Just need snow tires.. Here's my snow tires... Joking aside.. My 06 SUCKS in the snow... Sucked with the stock PZeros, Goodyear Triple treads and really sucks with the Nitto NT555s... Considerably worse than the Crown Vic I was rocking before the Stang (needed family car)...

Old 09-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I have close to 50,000 miles on my 2012-driven daily for 2 Wisconsin winters with no rust.
I run it though a car wash with under body spray weekly. The factory all season tires were worthless in the snow, I put Michelin snow and ice tires on the stock 17" x 7.5" rims . It's fine in 5" of snow up to 45 mph. I drive on pretty well maintained roads in the winter, I would not want to drive 2 or 3 hrs in 5" of snow with the Mustang, but I wouldn't want to drive that far in our F150 4WD either. The difference is, I plan ahead with the Mustang in winter, the F150 will always get me home.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

i would never ever ever drive my stangs in the winter. not even just the salt on the roads or that you couldnt handle it, but what about the people behind you? for gods sakes they cant even drive when it rains out
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I don't drive any of my stangs in the snow anymore because of other people to be honest, but sometimes the situation dictates that you have to, so I'm not going to say anything about do or don't.

I did and had no problems in snow in CO up to about 4 or 5". I bought a set of Blizzaks and extra wheels for the back. When the snow was coming, I'd swap them about in about 10 mins.

I've had people swear up and down about putting sand bags in the trunk. Frankly, I don't want the hassle of dealing with that weight so I've never done that. My biggest concern and this did happen to me once in about 12+ inches of snow when I had my 97 was the snow plow effect. Just too deep. But as long as you can keep moving and it's familiar terrain, even then you can get around.

Right now, I have a 2WD F150 for snow days. Same deal. Extra set of wheels running Blizzaks. I will then put the other wheels in the bed of my pickup and leave them there all winter. This winter I need to track down another set of wheels because honestly, I'd like to have a set for the front too. The front tires I have suck and it can be a bear to stop that pickup which is all in the front brakes and traction.

I've been driving in Colorado winters for 26 years and the most wisdom I can impart has already been said. Good dedicated tires are everything. Worst case scenario where you're alone with no lifeline, instead of sand bags in your trunk, I'd say opt for a set of light tire chains or cables. Those have saved my hind end more than once and although they suck to run, they can be a total life saver. I'd actually rather have the cables or chains rather than the studded snows. Studded snows can cause a severe loss of traction on dry pavement. That's how I totaled my first '97

Last edited by wcgman; 09-09-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I love these posts from folks that have no idea what REAL snow is. Plowed roads or roads that have had traffic pack the snow down does not constitute what driving in snow means. Nor does driving in your state's lone 1 or 2 snowfalls per winter that adds up to a grand total of 2 to 6 inches have any relation to driving in winter snow.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

I drive mine year round with a set of snows for the winter... I've never had a FWD car, so I'm very used to RWD in the snow.

I've certainly driven better RWD cars in the snow, but it isn't the basketcase everyone makes it out to be.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Just don't do it..
Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

i would never ever ever drive my stangs in the winter. not even just the salt on the roads or that you couldnt handle it, but what about the people behind you? for gods sakes they cant even drive when it rains out
Good Grief!!

There are 5 people who work here at Harley who ride their Harley to work every (work)day of the year!!
Btw, we often get 100" per year and many of the side roads and back road are covered in snow all winter. I'll have 4-6 inches one my street for 1/4 mile to a main road, I don't consider that to count.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 AM
rvastang
1st Gear Member

I plan to drive my '14 in the weak sauce Virginia winter. The one thing that does make the winters a bit tricky around here is that they have no idea how to plow. Anyway, extra stopping distance and going easy on the gas/brake should do the trick.

Quick Reply: tips for driving mustang in the snow?