Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Dealers doing repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Su Roberts

Default Ford Dealers doing repairs

I am so done with the dealership. I bought my 2005 GT brand new with only 6 miles on it have always taken back where I bought it and I truly feel I am getting the run around. Since when can the dealership not be able to put a brand new alternator on my car. I have had nothing but trouble with the rebuilts. Want a new one but they won't do it. Found out they put a rebult one on and I was so not aware of it. Then the throttle body asked them to clean it they said no they wanted to replace it. When I asked why I was told because of the amount of miles 92,000 they did not want to clean it but replace it. Really cast-iron and brass. They said it could get a gap and I would have to replace it any way. Well I cleaned it myself after learning how from you all and the internet it was a piece of cake. Very frustrating when you think your dealer wants the best for you and your car.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Dealerships can be gruesome to deal with and there are a lot of independents out there that want to get rich quick and are as inept.

The S197 alternators are a chronic issue. Purchase a PA Performance alternator from American Muscle and have someone install it for you. Electrical issues solved...
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 PM
mustangguy82
1st Gear Member

Yeah I'm dealing with a inept dealer myself.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

On the rebuilt alternator--check the repair order and see if that says rebuilt. If not, check with BAR and see if a shop is required to inform you of any rebuilt parts that were installed.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Yea, I'd check that too. I've never had a shop put a rebuilt part on any of my vehicles without clearing it with me first.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

My advice is to only go to the dealer for two things, warranty repairs and genuine Ford parts that you then install yourself. Use an independent mechanic if it exceeds your skills or your desire to do the work yourself. The dealers charge too much and take no responsibility when they eff it up.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
My advice is to only go to the dealer for two things, warranty repairs and genuine Ford parts that you then install yourself. Use an independent mechanic if it exceeds your skills or your desire to do the work yourself. The dealers charge too much and take no responsibility when they eff it up.
I dont know about you, but i would much rather have had my car serviced at a dealer if something did go wrong,, like if my engine blew due to lack of oil and they can look me up and see that i had my oil changed there every time and maintenance preformed there. Oil change prices at ford dealerships are also very reasonable, atleast in my area, and they dispose of the used fluids etc.

I dont think and wouldnt expect ford to cover damage caused by some random DIY mechanic messing something up and i would rather deal with a big reputable dealership
Old 09-26-2013, 07:07 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Exactly what dcarlinf1 said, only go to dealer for warranty repairs and to purchase genuine ford parts that you personally install.. Once my car went out of warranty it never went to the dealer again, all maintenance and repairs are done by me or a trusted independent shop. **Dealers = rip off outside of warranty work, and even then I've also had dealers screw up warranty work on my car and it become a bigger issue then it was before they touched it**
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

All depends on the relationship you have with the (a) service advisor at the dealership. Been taking mine to the same dealer and service advisor since I bought it new (almost six years ago). Zero issues except for a hiccup or two and he knows how I am about my car.

Recently my dude got promoted to manger of the quicklane service. Geez, I forgot how good I had it....new advisor had my tires rotated and the air adjusted at no charge during my last oil change.

That would be fine except I have staggered tires and they dropped the PSI so low it tripped my TPMS. I had to set the new guy straight and let him know NOT to mess with the tires during service unless it's to put the tires at 34 PSI or I specifically ask.

There are better places (prices) to get Motorcraft parts from than the dealer. I only use their parts department in a pinch where I need something that day or next day and shipping charge for overnight from other sources are just not worth it.

If you're not happy with the dealer or advisor, find another one.