Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyperflashing Even with Resistors

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:48 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb Hyperflashing Even with Resistors

Okay, I installed some amber LEDs in my Roush fog lamps as blinkers and they look great, only problem I'm having is hyperflashing. They'll hyperflash for about 6 seconds then go to normal, then do it about 4 seconds, then 2, then be fine. It does this on both sides, almost like it takes a bit for the resonators to warm up before they start working. I've never heard of this happening before, Google hasn't helped me out much either. They're 50 Watt 6 Ohm resistors and the bulbs are Cree h10's.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Anybody? This is driving me insane.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:31 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Final bump. SOMEONE here has to know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

Switch to an led trailer flasher. Get one at advance or somewhere. No need for resistors then.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:47 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
Switch to an led trailer flasher. Get one at advance or somewhere. No need for resistors then.
Do you mean a new set of LEDs or is this some kind of alternate relay? I'm a bit new to this stuff.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

No. You need to replace the flasher unit under the dash in the car. I think walmart even has them. Its a 5 minute job.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox Fader
No. You need to replace the flasher unit under the dash in the car. I think walmart even has them. Its a 5 minute job.
yes... this makes sense on a few levels. The flasher module is a simple bi-metal strip, when it gets hot it changes shape and competes the circuit. The additional load of a trailer + wiring could necessitate the need for a more robust flasher... its worth a few bucks to see...
Old 10-19-2013, 11:56 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I hate dealing with LED's. I put LED turn signals on my old bike, and wired everything up with resistors, tested them out, everything worked perfect! So, I go and install everything, get it all wrapped up, and...I get the fast flashing. Took everything back apart and never did get it to flash normally again, I just had to put it all back together and let it flash fast. Sorry, this is no help, just venting...it all seems to be somewhat temperamental.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna pick one up tomorrow and see what I can do. In the meantime I'm going to search for a write up or something because I don't even want to take a chance on jacking something up.

Originally Posted by ghunt
I hate dealing with LED's. I put LED turn signals on my old bike, and wired everything up with resistors, tested them out, everything worked perfect! So, I go and install everything, get it all wrapped up, and...I get the fast flashing. Took everything back apart and never did get it to flash normally again, I just had to put it all back together and let it flash fast. Sorry, this is no help, just venting...it all seems to be somewhat temperamental.
This is exactly my problem. I can't tell you how many times I had to unwrap and rewrap to check my splicing. I would sit there and be pulling on the wire and nothing would go wrong, then as soon as I put my bumper back on get everything put back together, I head to work I hear that nerve racking clicking. SO AGGRIVATING
Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Fox Fader
2nd Gear Member

And you wired the resistor parallel to the light circuit? I've done the multiple times problem free. I've even wired in a hidden bulb to act as a resistor in a pinch.

Quick Reply: Hyperflashing Even with Resistors