Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Static cling tint film

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:49 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default Static cling tint film

Has anybody used this stuff? I recently picked up some red LED taillights and I want to tint them like my current ones. I've seen that some places sell the precut tint in a static cling type...how does it hold up?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I used it to tint the back glass of my '77 F150 and I have it in the back glasses of my wife's Forester, but that's all on the inside. Installed using 3 drops baby shampoo in a squirt bottle of distilled water, squeegee in place just like other tint, it's great and no glue .... but I would not use it on a motorized power glass that must roll up and down past a rubber seal as it will put a load on the motor. OK on old manual windows.

I used clear static cling to wrap the newly painted new front bumper of my '07 FX4 after a deer meeting because I didn't want rock / debris chips in it like in the OEM bumper, first cold rain and I guess it got brittle and stiff or rain loosened it ..... but it vanished on a trip, both sides gone.

I have clear static cling over my '07's "FORD" grille ornament to protect it as the original took a small gravel and it started delaminating .... a common happenstance. That piece is still there and can only be seen if I point it out.

On our 'Honda Gold Wing / Lehman Trike I currently have clear static cling on the fronts of the two rear fenders to protect, once a year maybe I pull it off and dip in a wash bucket of soapy water while I rewax the fenders and then reapply with squeegee .... and I have some 5% tinted static cling that I sometimes put on and leave for a while. The clear lifts some around the edges and wax builds there ..... I am sure the tinted stuff does too but the lift space isn't visable through the tint. Looks like black "Fender Bra"s in place.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-15-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Me Too, Used that type of film on my daughters Escape sunroof. Works great on the inside but I think it would peel off after being exposed to the elements for a short time (outside).
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

That's what I've been wondering about. I used standard tint film on my factory taillights and it has held up pretty well on the actual taillights, hasn't bubbled or anything yet. The places selling them static film claim it works fine if installed correctly, but I really have to wonder how well something exterior like that would really stay on in the long run. It would be nice to have something that was semi-easily removed though.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Static cling film is intended to be semi permanent (easily removable) ergo no adhesive. So even if you put it on correctly, it will peel off. It's also a lot thicker than regular tint so that extra thickness will give dirt/water a way to between the film and the surface it's mounted on because it will sit on that edge.