Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market audio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:49 PM
SDreyer

Default RE: After market audio?

I have the d1 and love it. It looks like it was built for this car. Your hand is in the perfect spot to rest on the shifter while changing options. Just remember to have the shop hook up the extra wire to give you full navi functions while driving (Just don't crash).

Anyone with the system able to hook up the speed pulse right. Ford said you can't due to the car having a digital speed pulse (At least thats what my installer told me).

Don't forget to pay a little extra for navi traffic (If it's in your area). It's a lifesaver when stuck in commute traffic.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 AM
baltimucho

FOOMustang... I just installed the Kenwood Excelon DDX8017 and it is BADD-A$$$. It's also easy to bypass the Parking Brake-DVD Video interrupt. I love it, BUT...

I installed it myself, and while I'm amazed at my creativity in taking the stock radio apart and using parts of it to make a sturdy bracket, it could still fit better; a little more flush and the plastic face-frame could be a little tighter.

Could you advise me on finding a face-frame and mounting brackets that would give it a perfect fit? Those pix of the Pioneer install are AWESOME. I don't see any "kit" on Crutchfield.com, and the guy I got my Kenwood through only suggests that I hand-trim some ABS to make the frame fit better. I'd appreciate a bit of your knowledge.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:52 AM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Metra makes a kit as well as Scosche makes a kit as well? Crutchfield does have a kit as well

Dash Kit -
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kkYJtx1...5807&s=0&cc=01
Wiring Kit
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kkYJtx1...5521&s=0&cc=01

How do the stock speakers sound with the new head unit? Was their a lot of extra wiring? I am replacing Skipper 500 this weekend
with an Eclipse 5435.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
baltimucho

Thanks... I didn't know I could use an F-150 kit. I did get a wiring harness, and it was really straight foward and simple. I have the standard four-speaker stereo and I replaced all the speakers with some Pioneers I had from my last Mustang, so I can't vouch for the stock speakers, or replacing a Shaker 500.

Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

A Couple of wiring Tips for Everyone that is installing the AVIC-D1

Use Wire Tap-ins avalable from radio shack

The VSS is located at the PCM, from the front of the car, remove the cap on the top plug.
You want the blue wire with the yellow tracer. It is on the left side of the top plug in the third space from the bottom.

Technically it is no longer VSS because the PCM reads the OSS and makes up its own VSS inside of the PCM, so its electronic.
You can read it with a scan tool and bring up the VSS pid. Tap in to this wire for your "VSS" signal for navigation systems.

As for the backup lights, just tap in to a +voltage wire to a backup light in the trunk.

Below are instructions on how to bypass the lockouts on the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and AVIC-D1. It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything. We figure these are service or testing modes, and were not intended to become public. Our Pioneer guy claims to not know anything about it, but who knows, that may just be a line.

This bypass will do three things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving
3. No more parking brake warning box!!!

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass: Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.

AVIC-D1 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).
Old 10-15-2005, 01:31 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

BALTIMUCHO>
Normally what we do is take the plain ford install kit and modify it to fit th D1 and DDX8017. Just take your time to mke sure it come out looking perfect and it is really simple. Plus if you do screw up, a new kit to start over is only about $20
Old 10-16-2005, 05:05 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Nice pic swieduwi. Why...if I didn't know better I would think that was a picture I took. Actually some of the verbage sounds vaguely familiar also.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

So should I change the speakers after I put the Pioner in?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:07 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

Yes it is, I posted this info that I found on another fourm for others to use. I searched for a long time to get the VSS and bypass info and I figured that I would pass it on. Thanks for your Picture It was helpfull. I have found that picture and instructions around the internet on several forums by different posters, so I did not know who to give credit to.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

If you have the Stock Speakers, I would change them, If you have the shaker system you may like them since I think they may a better quality since they need to handle 500 - 1000 watts. the stock system has a low powered system.