Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TVS vs Twin Screw....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default TVS vs Twin Screw....

Ok, so I know there are tons of this supercharger vs that supercharger threads but I haven't really found what I was looking for when I searched. With that being said, I'm looking into the pros and cons of TVS (roush/edelbrock) vs twin screw (KB/whipple) superchargers. I don't really want to know which brand people think is better, I want to know if anyone has statistical data on which would be better in certain areas.

The plan for my car is to supercharge it within the next few months (just have to close on a house with a garage first, then the next purchase is mods). I have a stock engine, and will keep that for several years before I eventually get something like the B326 and up the boost/power. For now, I'm going to stay at or under 10lbs of boost. Hopefully I won't grenade my engine that way. Later on down the road, when I have the supporting mods, I'd like to make around 600rwhp. I take my car to the drag strip maybe once a month and plan on doing some road courses here and there. Its also a daily driver (for now) but I'm not all that concerned with gas mileage or anything like that.

Now for the meat and potatoes of the post. I've been researching and dreaming of which supercharger I'd install since I got my car and have changed my mind several times. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has done that. I've narrowed it down to a TVS or TS setup (obviously). So here are some of the things I've read about both setups:

TVS:
-more efficient at lower boost levels (16lbs and under)
-lose efficiency at higher boost levels (above 16lbs)
-lower IATs (haven't seen any data to prove this)
-more torque at lower RPMs
-less room to grow with forged engine

TS:
-less efficient at lower boost levels (16lbs and under)
-more efficient at higher boost levels (above 16lbs)
-higher IATs (again haven't seen any data to prove this)
-more heat soak
-more room to grow with forged engine

I guess one thing that should be noted, the TS blowers tend to be a tad larger than the TVS blowers I've looked at (2.6 opposed to 2.3). From the articles I've read, that is why they are better when the boost gets higher.

So, here are my questions. Does anyone have any real data to support the claims of heat soak and IATs? Which design will yield more power per lb of boost? Are there any other differences IE pros/cons of either setup? Can anyone post their dyno charts so I can see real world numbers and not inflated manufacture numbers?

I'd really like insightful answers not just "I have a KB and its great". I know all the brands such as KB, whipple, roush, and edelbrock make great products. I'd just like some actual information/opinions that can help me choose the right blower for what I want from my car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:30 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...win-screw.html
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

twin screw rotors are asymmetrical:

tvs rotors are symmetrical:

To be honest, it's all about what power level you want in the long term, what shape you want your torque curve, and how much heat soak you are willing to deal with. The heat soak you can do something about with larger intercoolers and reservoirs. The power curve and ultimate power goal are really the only things to be concerned with.

Attached is a dyno sheet when I had the 2.3 whipple, the blue lines are the 3.125" pulley on a basically stock engine, the red lines are the same pulley with JBA shorty headers & FR 62mm intake manifold.