Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
car_designer

Default Cold shifting problems

I've read through many of the threads on this issue and have also taken my car to the dealership, but the fix they did didn't seem to change anything.

My car is a 2013 V6 with the 6-speed manual that I bought new. It is an early 2013. I think it was built in March 2012.

I don't remember there being any shifting issues when I first bought the car last winter, but this winter it's there. Often when the car is cold (outside temps in the -10*C or colder (14*F and colder)), I can not shift into 2nd gear. I usually let the car idle for a few minutes while I scrape the windows or clear off snow. As the car warms up, I can start shifting into 2nd, but it is clunky or mild grinding, not sure exactly how to describe the sound. It also seems like I can shift up into 2nd before I can shift down into 2nd.

I took the car in to the local dealership on Thursday and left it with them overnight. They called me Friday and said the issue was the fluid, the car had gear oil in it (service advisor's words) and that they switched over to XT11-QDC. I was also told they inspected the transmission and everything was good. Leaving the dealership the car drove fine.

Get in this morning, and it's is shifting exactly the same as with the old fluid, no change at all.

I've read that this is something I might just have to live with. I have a few questions though:

-Should I take it back to have them look at it again?
-When the advisor told me they put in the thinner fluid, I asked about if there would be any issues in the summer, since I drive the car a lot and am planning an 8 hour drive this year. His said it's fine unless you're racing. Adding any condition to that statement tells me it's not as good as what was taken out. If this is just a problem I will have to live with, should I look into going back to the thicker oil or is the XT11-QDC good enough?

I also plan on keeping this car for a long time and don't want to do anything that might affect the warranty.

Thanks for any advice. I've had the car for almost a year now and I still smile every time I get in it.