Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?

Been looking at stuff at a local custom shop, and was thinking of getting flow master 40's on my 06 gt as I like the sound clips I have heard of them, but a bunch of people were like "exhaust on an automatic sounds bad" and "automatics are useless"

some may agree but I love my car and I was very thankful my car was automatic back when I dislocated my shoulder!

I think my stock exhaust sounds awesome, but I'd like it a little louder so was thinking of replacing the stock mufflers with flowmaster 40's. (I like the 40's the best, even over 60's)

I know most car enthusiasts prefer manual, but are there any auto's out here that go for exhaust note?

Last edited by RazorGT; 02-12-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RazorGT
Been looking at stuff at a local custom shop, and was thinking of getting flow master 40's on my 06 gt as I like the sound clips I have heard of them, but a bunch of people were like "exhaust on an automatic sounds bad" and "automatics are useless"

some may agree but I love my car and I was very thankful my car was automatic back when I dislocated my shoulder!

I think my stock exhaust sounds awesome, but I'd like it a little louder so was thinking of replacing the stock mufflers with flowmaster 40's. (I like the 40's the best, even over 60's)

I know most car enthusiasts prefer manual, but are there any auto's out here that go for exhaust note?
Your transmission has nothing to do with your exhaust note. Don't buy 40s though, the baffles go out on them. Trust me, I've had them on three vehicles.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Vivid Racing
Former Sponsor

I agree with whosniffed. Having a manual or automatic isnt going to have anything to do with the sound of the exhaust. I have had the 40 series mufflers on my previous mustang, and i never had that issue. If you're going with a stainless muffler, or stainless system, flowmaster does have a limited lifetime warranty in case something like that does happen. Even if you get a aluminized steel muffler or aluminized steel exhaust systems, they will still have a 3 year warranty, so i wouldn't really worry to much about it.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

flowmaster would def be my last choice for a Mustang nowadays. maybe on an older one, but not a newer one.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

My biggest problem with sound clips is the recording hardware used often isn't professional, then there's the fact that maybe even my speakers aren't doing the exhaust justice.

Gotta listen to these in person to get an accurate idea of how they sound.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:51 PM
Vivid Racing
Former Sponsor

Yeah, Danielle.. I forgot to mention that mine was an 88' lol
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I have the flowmaster 40 series classics and love the sound on my 2010 GT. But, it's all about how YOU want YOUR mustang to sound.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 PM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

I'm new to owning a Mustang, but I've been appreciating their sounds for many years. For a long time, my dream was to own a Mustang with Flowmasters. Now that it's time to spend the money, I'm not sure what to go with, and I agree that sound clips are difficult to make a decision from - as a result, I bought a set of stock mufflers on craigslist, cut the tops off and gutted them, then had the tops welded back on as a temporary cheap fix till I can hear different exhaust options in person at car shows this spring. I liked the sound of the stock exhaust, but it just wasn't loud enough.

...truth be told, I guess like the sound of lots of different Mustangs with a variety of different exhausts. Good news is, you'll hopefully be happy no matter what you choose!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 PM
VistaBlueGT/CS
1st Gear Member

...oh, and I appreciate the sounds of Mustangs whether auto or manual - but my preference is definitely manual. I just like the sound of a vehicle running through the gears with more variation in rpm like you get with a manual.

But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. If you have an auto, you'll probably enjoy the improvement.

Let me put it this way - if you drive down my street, I'm gonna stop what I'm doing to watch you go buy regardless of whether it's a manual or auto!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 AM
jester0618
1st Gear Member

I've got the Roush cat backs. Absolutely love the sound. Nice idle, and mean when you get on it. No drone. Oh, mines an automatic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust on automatic GT = a waste?