Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:08 PM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

Default VIN Search

Any way to locate a car if I have the VIN? The dealer is saying he can't do much on price with a transfer, so I was thinking of just going directly to the one that has the car, but all I have is the VIN.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

You should be able to search local dealerships' inventories using ford's website, but you wont be able to do this search with the VIN. You can try contacting Ford directly with the VIN and see if they'd pin-point the dealership for you.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

You should be able to search local dealerships' inventories using ford's website, but you wont be able to do this search with the VIN.
Not that I can see. They seem to always just forward the info to another dealer.

You can try contacting Ford directly with the VIN and see if they'd pin-point the dealership for you.
I tried calling Ford and all I could reach was their marketing dept who couldn't help me without reading stuff from the website or manual.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:54 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Type VIN: (then the number) and do a google search. If that car is anywhere on the internet, with the vin number attached, it will pop up. You may have to weed through a few things.

I did that looking for my car the past couple months. I was on cargurus and they don't tell you where the car is, so I just did a google and found everyone of them.

It's worth a try.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Carfax may also be avle to tell you where the car is, but it will cost you, so you best be serious or you it will be for nothing.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 PM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Type VIN: (then the number) and do a google search. If that car is anywhere on the internet, with the vin number attached, it will pop up. You may have to weed through a few things.
Your da man! Came up as the first search! Looks to be about 6 hours away.
So now I just need to think if I should just drive there and pick it up. My big concern is driving it back 400 miles right from the start.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adrianp
Your da man! Came up as the first search! Looks to be about 6 hours away.
So now I just need to think if I should just drive there and pick it up. My big concern is driving it back 400 miles right from the start.
Why is that a concern?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 PM
adrianp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Why is that a concern?
I guess, breaking it in properly? It's been about 9 years since my last car, but all my previous ones had certain recommendations for the first 1000 miles or so.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:13 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Check with the dealer that has the car and see if they have an internet sales department. Most dealers do, you could see if you can make a deal before doing the drive.

Earl
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Vary your speed for the first 1000 miles. No cruise control! If you're on a highway that is not congested and you don't need to slow down from time to time, occasionally back off a little anyway. It would also be a good idea to take an exit and drive around at city speeds for a few minutes a couple of times during your trip.

If you find a suitable road, you could also bed in the brakes.

That's about it.

Quick Reply: VIN Search