Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:43 PM
HardyHartnagel

Default Transmission problems

My mustang tends to not accelerate right away after I'm waiting at stop, and this is a new experience. I bought the car at 53000 miles and it is now at 58000 miles. Is there maintence I should do to my tranny?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HardyHartnagel
My mustang tends to not accelerate right away after I'm waiting at stop, and this is a new experience. I bought the car at 53000 miles and it is now at 58000 miles. Is there maintence I should do to my tranny?
could be lots of things... tune up, dirty injectors, crud build up in the throttle body, bad tank of gas...I'm skeptical of tranny issues at 58k. the obvious things related to tranny, is the fluid level right? does the fluid smell burned or is discolored?

Last edited by vixr; 02-22-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

auto? maunal? any mods? My 14GT had a bad axle seal and bad clutch bearings at 15k miles... so, anything is possible.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xann27
auto? maunal? any mods? My 14GT had a bad axle seal and bad clutch bearings at 15k miles... so, anything is possible.
beautiful car, man...those hood vents are awesome.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:35 AM
HardyHartnagel

Originally Posted by vixr
could be lots of things... tune up, dirty injectors, crud build up in the throttle body, bad tank of gas...I'm skeptical of tranny issues at 58k. the obvious things related to tranny, is the fluid level right? does the fluid smell burned or is discolored?
I'm not sure about the fluid level but nothing smells burnt. Do you think I should take it to a shop and have someone look at it?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:37 AM
HardyHartnagel

Originally Posted by Xann27
It is an auto. I have a tuner, cold air intake and 18*10 tires in the back and 18*9 in the front for mods.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HardyHartnagel
what exactly do you mean? Does the engine rev up but the car doesn't move right away? or does it seem like nothing's happening when you step on the gas?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It sounds like you're saying that it's hesitating. Most likely just a little TLC is required; basically a little of (what should have been) preventive maintenance.
1. Add the proper amount of SeaFoam (available at Walmart and any auto parts store for about $10). The can will tell you how much SeaFoam for 16 gallons of gas. Add the SeaFoam at the gas pump just before filling the tank to allow mixing. Depending on how bad the injectors are gummed up, it make take a 2nd tank full.
2. Clean the throttle body. It's a simple matter of unbolting the TB and wiping everything down with a suitable TB cleaner. A lot of these S197's suffer from dirty TB's causing the issue you describe
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 AM
HardyHartnagel

Originally Posted by jz78817
what exactly do you mean? Does the engine rev up but the car doesn't move right away? or does it seem like nothing's happening when you step on the gas?
Yes, the engine revs up but I don't move. I then let off the gas and it jolts and it then accelerates the next time I touch the gas.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 AM
HardyHartnagel

Originally Posted by Nuke
It sounds like you're saying that it's hesitating. Most likely just a little TLC is required; basically a little of (what should have been) preventive maintenance.
1. Add the proper amount of SeaFoam (available at Walmart and any auto parts store for about $10). The can will tell you how much SeaFoam for 16 gallons of gas. Add the SeaFoam at the gas pump just before filling the tank to allow mixing. Depending on how bad the injectors are gummed up, it make take a 2nd tank full.
2. Clean the throttle body. It's a simple matter of unbolting the TB and wiping everything down with a suitable TB cleaner. A lot of these S197's suffer from dirty TB's causing the issue you describe
Okay, thanks for your advice. I will try both of those.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems