Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 steps away from lowering

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:49 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Think I'll go with Chin spoiler

UPDATE: I think I'll pass on lowering for now, enjoy my rims and possibly just get a chin spoiler for now.

I know I said I never wanted to lower but after seeing pics of what 18s look like without lowering (mine come Wednesday) I feel like not lowering will be an injustice to the rims. I spent last 2 days doing a lot of research and I've decided on this:

SR springs 1.5" drop
Eibach Camber Bolts
J&M Panhard rod - steel (the Sr panhard bar has been out of stock forever, will this J&M work well?)

I got about 30k miles and will rock stock shocks/struts for a while, though I've talked to a lot of people who say its not much worse than stock, but if they do prematurely wear or feel crappy, I plan to upgrade to Eibach shocks/struts.

The main thing I'm worried about is the 'clattering' noise I've been reading about in reviews. Basically people say after lowering they constantly hear a clattering noise and its a living hell...I'm new to this town and dont know any good shops and its a small town with only 1 or 2 reviews for the shops - but I found one that specializes in suspension/frame/alignment, a couple people recommended me to them - so they would be the best bet? Would the Ford dealer service people do this?

My car runs like a dream right now, and Idk what I'd do if I lowered it and it started running like crap :/ I talked to a few AM reps and they said even with teh SR springs, I should be fine as long as I get the panhard bar and camber bolts....so should I be good to go now? My rims come wendesday so hoping to lower in the next 2 weeks. feeling pretty scared.

If i got it done at this alignment shop, there would probably be some warranty right? so if i drove off the parking lot and it started sounding like crap, they could fix it? and since they do specialize in suspension and alignment they would probably be the best right?

Last edited by RazorGT; 03-17-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

leave it alone..i am not lowering mine
my 2005 was lowered and had no noises..
Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Hey if it makes you happy go for it. That clattering noise is probably folks who didn't do it properly and didn't tighten everything to spec. Just do it yourself, it's an easy job (I'd say less than an afternoon for a beginner) and you learn more about your car. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, it's how I've learned about my car. Now, rattles don't bug me as much because I know how to identify them and how to fix them myself. Save the money you'd spend on labor and buy yourself some camber plates instead of camber bolts. Much more peace of mind.

Although, based on your posts (and please don't take offense to this) you worry too much about what others think of your car and about hurting it. Take a load off for a while and just sit and enjoy it. Learn to love what you have right now and if the itch keeps coming back, then do what you want to it and damn the rest.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For now, just put your new wheels on it and drive it. Get that mod finished before starting in on another one. Then drive it more and stare at it less.

Lowering is a separate mod entirely, and it's at least possible that the new wheels could influence your choice of how much to lower it . . . if at all. Put it on the back burner for now while you enjoy having the new wheels on the car.

If you do lower it, you may or may not need an adjustable PHB. So the current availability issue with your first choice there may not matter, either you won't need it at all or you'll have time to be sure that you really do. IOW, wait and see.

I'm with CMcNam about getting camber plates as opposed to crash bolts.

Alternatively, get the Steeda HD strut mounts which feature about a degree of camber adjustability and at least on the earlier S197s are more durable than the OE strut mounts when lowering has been done. This is a two birds, one stone kind of thing.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-17-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
For now, just put your new wheels on it and drive it. Get that mod finished before starting in on another one. Then drive it more and stare at it less.

Lowering is a separate mod entirely, and it's at least possible that the new wheels could influence your choice of how much to lower it . . . if at all. Put it on the back burner for now while you enjoy having the new wheels on the car.

If you do lower it, you may or may not need an adjustable PHB. So the current availability issue with your first choice there may not matter, either you won't need it at all or you'll have time to be sure that you really do. IOW, wait and see.

I'm with CMcNam about getting camber plates as opposed to crash bolts.

Alternatively, get the Steeda HD strut mounts which feature about a degree of camber adjustability and at least on the earlier S197s are more durable than the OE strut mounts when lowering has been done. This is a two birds, one stone kind of thing.

Norm
ya honestly dude the more i read I just dont feel comfortable with doing it.

I'm gonna let it go for now, I might a CDC prepainted chin spoiler

ie: this s197 looks stock height, but I think with the chin spoiler it looks way better, also some people told me that in the 60s and 70s muscle cars didnt sit so low, they had some wheel gap, so thats pretty cool

but ya just gotta grind thorugh today and tomorrow and then I'll be on my new wheels...but I hear it might snow on wednesday which is pretty lame, but considering the weather here is insane, thats why i got A/S tires

Last edited by RazorGT; 03-17-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

if your car has nice wheels and gleaming blemish free paint work i dont think lowering it will make it look that much better.
raz me owd mucker u worry about this car way too much..
it's an old mustang now..just drive and enjoy it..
Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

The road conditions in the area you live should also tell you whether lowering would in fact even be a "NOT SO WISE" decision. Well maintained roads will go well with a properly lowered suspension.

I couldn't risk it where I live since there are many differing road types. From awesome smooth perfection to mediocre suburban or pitted rough mountain twisties to back country dirt roads. That being the case I still wanted to lower the vehicle or "lift" it for when any of these conditions were presented. So I went with an Airlift Digital kit to adjust the ride height on the fly and a Whiteline Watts Link setup to keep it planted and level at these varied heights.

The installation costs will be around the same price as a "top-shelf" adjustable coilover setups. But, the benefits for my use were just perfection. I can lift the height and soften the ride to clear speed bumps I encounter in the Mall and Theater parking lots, and the gulleys/ruts/ bumps I encounter on many dirt roads, like the approach to my ranch. And when I go for a run on the Highways or twisties I can lower the height and adjust the dampening to suit the condition.

My teenage sons would prefer to set the car down on the floor when parked. But, personally I feel that kinda looks like the suspension is broken and the car fell flat on its chassis. Just my older taste on that look.

I recommend you consider side splitters if you want a lowered look without actually changing the suspension out. It gives the appearance of a lower rocker panel and thus... a lowered car. I suppose as splitters they also would provide some aerodynamic enhancement as well. But. for the lowered look on a budget.... it is very effective.

---
Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

My lowering consists of:

Ford Racing K Springs
BMR Adjustable Panhard bar.

Nothing more, nothing less. On stock Brembo Brake Package Shocks/Struts. No pointless camber bolts or any other crap. Car aligned just fine.

No noises, no vibrations, nothing odd at all.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Like CM said, take a load off and just enjoy your car. Modding is suppose to be fun not a source of worry. Did your wheels come in yet? Pics man!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:15 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Razor = The New Zentin of the forums