Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torq tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
I'm surprised so few have heard of a torque tune. Could be that they just aren't that popular as I can't remember the last time I heard them discussed. Could also be that they are (were?) more popular with the 4.0 crowd. Generally seemed a choice for guys on an otherwise stock or near stock set up. The torque tune is simply a tune that designed to maximize your torque. Gives you more off the line and down low power for around town type fun.
Um. Call me crazy, but a time should be maximizing horsepower and torque anyway.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I use a Tennessee company motorvationefi not many ponies using them as they mainly tune Chevrolets & Hemi's.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default Max hp vs Torq.

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Um. Call me crazy, but a time should be maximizing horsepower and torque anyway.
actually Diva the tunes can be completely diff. cause of were you want the power made. Most HP tunes are for wide open throttle in 1;1 final gear. When tuning for torq. you working more with the lower end of the curves. Would think with alot of todays tunes you could find a happy medium for both with everything that can be adjusted. But have come across alot of tunes were 60 ft will drop alittle, but your ET is still quicker and MPH is up do to higher HP.But if your just racing stop lite to stop lite, Torq tunes may be what your after. ;-)

An example of Torq. vs max HP. I've drag raced Pontiacs for years. Love the 400 and 455 engines.(torq. monsters). They make awsome torq. but top Hp do to Rpm limit has been an issue. IF you build the car properly.I will race a Chevelle jump it off the line by a few car lengths do to the torq. advantage but at the top end we'll end up bumper to bumper cause it makes better Max hp. We normally say 60 ft tell you how your torq is, MPH tells you max HP.

Last edited by bryan67; 04-09-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I purchased my tuner from Bama ( Doug ) in 08. Doug offered Performance, Race and Torque tunes.
I think now days they are called Street tunes.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
The above explanations pretty much sum it up. Its matter of what you want to maximize, HP or torque, and what rpm range you want that power.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
I'm surprised so few have heard of a torque tune. Could be that they just aren't that popular as I can't remember the last time I heard them discussed. Could also be that they are (were?) more popular with the 4.0 crowd. Generally seemed a choice for guys on an otherwise stock or near stock set up. The torque tune is simply a tune that designed to maximize your torque. Gives you more off the line and down low power for around town type fun.
Torq != torque, unless it's a typo/misunderstanding by the OP. He said "Torq" and capitalized it like it was the name of the tuner after listing a bunch of others, so that's what everyone replied to. Though I suspect now that you may be on the right track and that's the confusion.

As mentioned before, the so called "torque" tunes are more commonly refered to as street tunes which are optimized for lower RPM use rather than race tunes which are optimized for staying in higher RPM ranges on a track. In that case, most places can probably offer you either, though it gives a good reminder that just because it's called a "race" tune doesn't mean it's necessarily the most useful for power driving around town.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

I am referring to the company called Torq tuning.

Here is a link: Torq Tuning

If no one is running them, then I won't go with them. It just caught my eye enough for me to ask more
Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

they've been around awhile. Know a few guys that have used them all seemed to be happy with their tunes.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:15 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ06GT
Torq != torque, unless it's a typo/misunderstanding by the OP. He said "Torq" and capitalized it like it was the name of the tuner after listing a bunch of others, so that's what everyone replied to. Though I suspect now that you may be on the right track and that's the confusion.
True. It seems that between Torq Tune and a torque tune both being relatively obscure it took a little work to get the context right.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:42 PM
074pointslow

yeah never heard of it either

Quick Reply: Torq tuning