Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install headers myself or pay for it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Install headers myself or pay for it?

So I've been doing some work to the stang recently, some of you may notice my frustrated posts. Anyway, its time for headers. I just got my stainless works long tubes and x pipe in the mail, and I'm debating whether I want to install them myself or not. I have two friends who can help out, but we are all dreading it. I got an estimate at a shop for $575 for the install. The instructions make it seem so easy, but I know its a pain in the butt. I also don't have a lift available, just jacks and jack stands. So, for those of you who have done this before, what do you suggest?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I installed and removed mine using only jackstands in my garage.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Diode Dynamics
Sponsor

If you don't have a lift, it's a pain in the butt to do.

It really helps to have all the right tools also. It took my mechanic friend a few hours to install them. Didn't help that it was 100* degrees that day either

Nick C.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I installed and removed mine using only jackstands in my garage.
How long did it take you?

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
If you don't have a lift, it's a pain in the butt to do.

It really helps to have all the right tools also. It took my mechanic friend a few hours to install them. Didn't help that it was 100* degrees that day either

Nick C.
Other than general hand tools and an impact, is there anything special I need?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

$575 is an axleback to go with them.. just sayin.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I think it took around 7hrs to install only because I took my time and didnt want to force anything. It took about 3hrs to remove them and I think I cound reinstall everything in about 3-4hrs again

I think to do everything I used only 3 or 4 sockets with a 3/8 drive ratcket.

I had to raise the engine off the mounts and remove the steering shaft to install mine.

I dont think a lift would of helped any either as you have to do some of the work from the top. A second pair of hands is very helpful to hold them up while starting the bolts, though.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I did mine by myself with the car on jackstands as well.

Now, I can't say as well how long it took because I would do a couple hours here, a couple hours there, as time allowed while the car was parked for the winter anyway.

With help I'm sure you could get it done in a weekend. The hardest part of it all is removing the old stuff. The original studs and nuts can sometimes be a pain (and sometimes have to soak in PB Blaster for awhile), and on mine the dipstick tube refused to come out, I ended up mangling it with vise grips and just ordered a new one.

Once all the old crap out the only hard part is squeezing your hand in some areas to tighten bolts. I'm a big guy with big hands and I was still able to do it, so anyone should.

FYI ratcheting wrenches, especially the flex head type, are your friends for this job, as well as stubbies, and extra long regular box end wrenches (for final tightening). You might also consider investing in locking header bolts so you don't have to worry about them backing out. Stage 8's are like $55 a set, and despite how they look the tabs and clips are actually not THAT hard to get on once everything is in the car. Also FYI they have a 7/16" bolt head on them, no idea why.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

$575 is an axleback to go with them.. just sayin.
Well I already have axlebacks on there, but it would be $575 for something else..... such as gears

I think it took around 7hrs to install only because I took my time and didnt want to force anything. It took about 3hrs to remove them and I think I cound reinstall everything in about 3-4hrs again

I think to do everything I used only 3 or 4 sockets with a 3/8 drive ratcket.

I had to raise the engine off the mounts and remove the steering shaft to install mine.

I dont think a lift would of helped any either as you have to do some of the work from the top. A second pair of hands is very helpful to hold them up while starting the bolts, though.

Well, that makes it sound easier. I'll have some friends helping so hopefully that would help.

Originally Posted by ghunt
I did mine by myself with the car on jackstands as well.

Now, I can't say as well how long it took because I would do a couple hours here, a couple hours there, as time allowed while the car was parked for the winter anyway.

With help I'm sure you could get it done in a weekend. The hardest part of it all is removing the old stuff. The original studs and nuts can sometimes be a pain (and sometimes have to soak in PB Blaster for awhile), and on mine the dipstick tube refused to come out, I ended up mangling it with vise grips and just ordered a new one.

Once all the old crap out the only hard part is squeezing your hand in some areas to tighten bolts. I'm a big guy with big hands and I was still able to do it, so anyone should.

FYI ratcheting wrenches, especially the flex head type, are your friends for this job, as well as stubbies, and extra long regular box end wrenches (for final tightening). You might also consider investing in locking header bolts so you don't have to worry about them backing out. Stage 8's are like $55 a set, and despite how they look the tabs and clips are actually not THAT hard to get on once everything is in the car. Also FYI they have a 7/16" bolt head on them, no idea why.
Thanks for the tips, if I end up doing it myself, I have a feeling I'll invest in some flex head wrenches. Who doesn't need more tools right?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

If you take your time and clear your schedule for a full day, you'll find the install is very doable for the average home mechanic. There's no doubt it will be a pain, but it's only so difficult. In fact, I here's a full install guide for the BBK LT headers, which install the same as any LT header. It may help clear up any confusion you may still have.

Plus think about all the money you'll be saving by doing the install with a few buddies!

Shane
Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
Thanks for the tips, if I end up doing it myself, I have a feeling I'll invest in some flex head wrenches. Who doesn't need more tools right?
Exactly. I'm the DIY'er type, I hate forking over buckets of money for something I know I could do myself, and you can buy a bunch of tools and still be way ahead.

Only bad thing is that the best deals on ratcheting wrenches is usually around christmas, that's when I bought all mine. The only ones I don't have is a set of standard sized regular ratcheting wrenches, otherwise I have both flex head and stubby in both standard and metric.

You REALLY only need the ratcheting wrenches for about 6 or 7 of the bolts...the rest have enough room you can put them in with a ratchet if you want to.

Feel free to PM me if you decide to tackle it yourself and have any other questions...I installed mine last year and then took them out and put them back in this year so I'm pretty well versed in the process at this point!

Quick Reply: Install headers myself or pay for it?