Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Send him off or don't do it
Do it.
95.83%
Don't do it.
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Dilemma... (Pascal approved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:39 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default Dilemma... (Pascal approved)

Admins - please don't move this post until after April 18, 2014 because here it will get the most eyes.

My neighbor and good friend passed away last week from early onset Alzheimers. When he was cognizant, we would go for spins around the 'hood in my mustangs and went to a couple of car shows. He never had anything to drive really as he was a little older, daughter in college, etc... but we still hit it off. He's ex-AF (I'm ex Navy so I made sure he knew that nobody is perfect) so he's being interred at Fort Logan cemetery here in Denver with our other heroes. He wasn't high enough in rank to rate a full dress military honors funeral, so there will be the flag presentation and the honor guard, but probably little else.

His daughter was updating me on the funeral plans and she's well aware of his affinity for riding with me, etc... She said her and her mother were talking and had a good laugh wondering if I was going to bring my Shelby and rev it up as a final goodbye to him. Those are her words. I said, I would do that for you if that's what you'd like. She said something to the effect of it's up to you, we don't care. Then she said that they laughed a little more that he's up in Heaven right now driving a new mustang.

The dilemma (or dilemna depending on where you grew up): I want to be respectful to her and her family, but to the other families as well. However, if she or her mother asked me to do this I would without a second thought and accept any consequences. I was hoping the weather here might snow which would handle the situation for me, but it's not going to, so even my wife is having a hard time with it. We just don't know. If I do it, I would give it 2 quick revs and call that good. Something like "Bye Duane"... My wife is going to ask her coworkers about it, I will too, but I'd appreciate some neutral feedback.

Given that it is a military cemetery, I don't know how many other families will be there if any. If I had more time, I would ask as many Colorado stangers as possible to show up to be part of the processional as a tribute to him, but it's tomorrow. I'm adding a poll to this thread, so if you don't want to comment and just vote, that's fine.

Again admins, if I can get just until Friday the 18th til 11a MST for this poll, I'd be very grateful. Then you can delete or move to your requirements. I also understand if you decide to move it.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Sorry about your loss! If the family of the deceased wants it, then they should get what they want. I hope it all works out and you can all mourn your loss. Everyone mourns differently, and I think that is a great way to pay tribute to your friend.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yeup if they ask for it then by all means do it. I would
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

When I was in high school (11 years ago) a good friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver. At his funeral his older brother and crew of Stangs did a huge burnout in memory of him. He wasn't military or anything but, that's what he and the family were into. I say go for it!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I would personally do it. I always tell my fiancee if I died unexpectadely I would want nothing but burnouts! Keep the flowers.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

HELL YA!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

That's an easy one. Do it. It was a family request.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I agree, do it.

And we won't move this thread until said date...
Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Active duty AF here and buried my own father last year. He had honor guard and gun salute. I say go for it! There will be a chance to do it. I would ask the family to let the attendees know why you are going to do it. I will be in the office today and have a DSN phone at my desk, if you find out what base the honor guard will be from I can call them up and ask for you and report back with what they say.

Last edited by Ricardo; 04-17-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I second what Ricardo said. Have someone tell the crowd, hey we rgonna let him do this because "so and so" loved the car/mustangs/watever. Then everyone will know why and be ok with it

Quick Reply: Dilemma... (Pascal approved)