Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install UPDATE

Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Header install UPDATE

So about 2 weeks ago I posted a question asking if I should pay to get my headers installed or do it myself. Well I decided to do it myself and it turned out ok. It took me about 12 hours total, but I wasn't going at a blazing pace. I also had 2 friends helping though. Anyway, things I would suggest to anyone doing this install:

-13mm flex head ratcheting box wrench is a MUST,
-SEVERAL extensions will be needed of varying length.
-An impact will save your life! The bolts on the factory H pipe were impossible with just my regular tools. It would have taken the terminator.
-MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE DIP STICK BACK IN. I had everything "done" took it around the block and then looked down when I was cleaning up the tools and saw that I hadn't put it back in.
-Plan for it to take a LONG time. I had to put the driver side header on three different times because I couldn't get some bolts started and ended up having to re-use some studs.

I'm tired and can't think of anything else right now but if I do I'll post it up. If you have any questions about this install just ask and I'll try to answer.

The only real issue I had was with my tuner. I was told by BAMA that I need to return my car to stock in order to put the new tunes they made for the headers on my device. So when I plugged in my SCT tuner to do that, it said "error needs reloading" or something like that. My car hasn't thrown a code yet and I guess I'll just take it easy for now, but I'm not sure what to do about this. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Lastly, here is a terrible cell phone video. I'll get a better one tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlK...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Awesome! Glad to hear it went successful. I used a few of the studs also so don't sweat that, you'll be fine. That mid pipe was a PITA!!! I had to use a sledge hammer and a 10 ft 4x4 timber from the rear of the car to separate it from the over axle pipes!

For the tuner, I'd not try anything else with it until you can speak with BAMA and SCT. I had an issue and SCT remotely went into the tuner on my computer to finally decide for me to send it back for repair. Lost my factory tune that way but I got everything squared away.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've heard about some people having to reuse factory studs, I didn't have that issue at all.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
So about 2 weeks ago I posted a question asking if I should pay to get my headers installed or do it myself. Well I decided to do it myself and it turned out ok. It took me about 12 hours total, but I wasn't going at a blazing pace. I also had 2 friends helping though. Anyway, things I would suggest to anyone doing this install:

-13mm flex head ratcheting box wrench is a MUST,
-SEVERAL extensions will be needed of varying length.
-An impact will save your life! The bolts on the factory H pipe were impossible with just my regular tools. It would have taken the terminator.
-MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE DIP STICK BACK IN. I had everything "done" took it around the block and then looked down when I was cleaning up the tools and saw that I hadn't put it back in.
-Plan for it to take a LONG time. I had to put the driver side header on three different times because I couldn't get some bolts started and ended up having to re-use some studs.

I'm tired and can't think of anything else right now but if I do I'll post it up. If you have any questions about this install just ask and I'll try to answer.

The only real issue I had was with my tuner. I was told by BAMA that I need to return my car to stock in order to put the new tunes they made for the headers on my device. So when I plugged in my SCT tuner to do that, it said "error needs reloading" or something like that. My car hasn't thrown a code yet and I guess I'll just take it easy for now, but I'm not sure what to do about this. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Lastly, here is a terrible cell phone video. I'll get a better one tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlK...ature=youtu.be
yourmyboybh1026,

Good to see you were finally able to tackle this project over the weekend. It's great to be able to install you own parts and save a good bit of money. Even for a very timely install, like LT headers. Well done!

As for the SCT tuner error, I'd give the Bama Team a call as soon as you can to see what they suggest. I'm not sure if there is something they can help you with here or if you'll need to talk to SCT directly. Either way, I'd get this resolved ASAP, so you can load the right tunes for your latest mods.

If you need assistance contacting the Bama Team, let me know. I'd be happy to help!

Shane
Old 04-28-2014, 02:15 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
yourmyboybh1026,

Good to see you were finally able to tackle this project over the weekend. It's great to be able to install you own parts and save a good bit of money. Even for a very timely install, like LT headers. Well done!

As for the SCT tuner error, I'd give the Bama Team a call as soon as you can to see what they suggest. I'm not sure if there is something they can help you with here or if you'll need to talk to SCT directly. Either way, I'd get this resolved ASAP, so you can load the right tunes for your latest mods.

If you need assistance contacting the Bama Team, let me know. I'd be happy to help!

Shane
Thanks, I used a combination of the dynatech install instructions, the instructions from AM and another forum to get it done. The instructions from stainless works were pretty worthless (which is the ONLY complaint I have about the headers).

From what I've read the problem with the tuner is something I have to talk to SCT about. With that being said if you could PM me an email for the bama team just so I can send them a message and see what they say that would be great.

I've heard about some people having to reuse factory studs, I didn't have that issue at all.
I had 2 on the drivers side that that wouldn't come out at all, then on the top of the driver side, the third bolt wouldn't go in, so I just used a stud. Other than that the bolts were easy.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
I had 2 on the drivers side that that wouldn't come out at all, then on the top of the driver side, the third bolt wouldn't go in, so I just used a stud. Other than that the bolts were easy.
Wouldn't come out even by double-nutting them? I had four I had to do that on. One was particularly tough but I got them all out.

I also had the same bolt issue with the top two rear bolts on the driver's side, nothing beyond a standard bolt would go in because of the tube's proximity to the flange. I ended up slotting those two holes and still had to work the bolts in as I was bringing the header against the head. PITA, not sure why they make it that way.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Wouldn't come out even by double-nutting them? I had four I had to do that on. One was particularly tough but I got them all out.

I also had the same bolt issue with the top two rear bolts on the driver's side, nothing beyond a standard bolt would go in because of the tube's proximity to the flange. I ended up slotting those two holes and still had to work the bolts in as I was bringing the header against the head. PITA, not sure why they make it that way.
No clue what that means to be honest lol. I couldn't get them out with the ratchet or anything else I tried so I just decided to try it with them in. I haven't heard any signs of a leak yet. Yeah the drivers side was much worse than the passenger side.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Well, so far SCT's technical support SUCKS!!!!!!! The first time I called them, I held for 45 minutes, they did something remotely and said I'd be fine. Got a different error, so I called them again, I held for OVER AN HOUR!! They did something else remotely, STILL DOESN'T RETURN MY CAR TO STOCK!!!! I am livid! I'll update the thread if I EVER get this tuner working.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem with my sct tuner! i just phoned them up,and they took over my computer and fixed in like 5 mins and even installed my new tune on for me! they are very helpfull and very friendly at SCT
Old 04-28-2014, 08:56 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by charliebrown266
I had the same problem with my sct tuner! i just phoned them up,and they took over my computer and fixed in like 5 mins and even installed my new tune on for me! they are very helpfull and very friendly at SCT
Well I had to call 3 times, I was on hold for almost 3 hours total, but they finally got it working. So I am not properly tuned. Now that I'm a little more calmed down I'll say the guys at SCT did help, but the hold times were WAY too long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header install UPDATE