Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 PM
RenGen
Banned

Ya I guess the same goes for hood scoops, they've been coming nonfunctional from factory for years now and ya can even order newer stangs with nonfunctional quarter window louvers as well lol.

Guess I'll just smoke the tail lights and call it a day, got everything else I wanted, deck panel, sequentials, antenna delete, painted mirrors, 18" wheels, black turn markers - my original plan was to keep a stock look with small mods to compliment, guess I've been thinking into my car too much lately lol.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Its all good until that one sarcastic clown in the parking lot decides to say in front of his friends... WOW I bet having a fake a$$ed side scoop, hood scoop or whatever really makes your car go fast. Which kinda stings when its someone and his buddies standing around their tweaked out Honda Civic. Doh...

You can start to make an argument for quarter louvers helping to keep the interior cool, unless you're asked why in the winter.... Its just a visual treatment for nostalgic reasons...But when you make it something functional then there's something they can't smack talk about.

But, if I were gonna get quarter louvers my choices would be either the Silver Horse ones or the SALEEN ones since either of those hardly block your view out of the quarters and don't stick out at all to cause any drag. So it would be added for a look just like a decklid blackout , but not being a negative aerodynamic addition.

But hey, in the end it's your car and its what you like that matters.

Just Saying...
---
Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
A non-functional ornamental only retro look? BLEh.

If ford made an actual channel in the fender well that worked with a brake cooling upgrade kit so that side scoop could serve some purpose....Maybe. As is the only purpose it serves is to add drag.
So NOTHING on you car is strictly ornamental?

Because that "functional" wing on you does nothing at normal driving speeds and really isn't needed at race speeds.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

What, did I hit a touchy subject for you again?

The benefits of the wing is felt at HWy speeds in excess of 65mph .... Not ornamental in the least bit. I would think the ailerons are helpful as well.

But, it is especially effective when catching 5th gear in a road race.... Maybe climbing from 60-ish up to and exceeding 150-ish while hugging a few long curves. Very stable..... VERY. :-)

If I had to do it again... I'd still get it for an s550.... When that day happens I'll message you Pony boy....

Boom
---

Did you ever wonder why on those nice euro sports cars and a few domestics (SRT-6) why the active wing pops out after 55mph? I'm sure it's because it's only ornamental. Like those bumps on yer hood.

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 06-23-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Poking some fun
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 PM
RenGen
Banned

Do you guys think different mustang forums have groups with different tastes? I notice in this other forum I go to people are huge fans for the scoops and louvers, but here not so much.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

meh... I'm not against louvers and scoops.... I just prefer the proven concept of form that follows function.

This forum seems to be older and more sophisticated among others. But, clearly there are peeps here that enjoy all the ornamental non functional accessories. Provided they are applied in good taste then it's still something to be appreciated...

And there are those who would rather direct their funds towards mods that work for them instead of against them.

Just saying...

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 06-23-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I have the OEM side scoops, and I think they are pretty tasteful. Most of the aftermarket ones do not do it for me.

Some days I think the non functioning side and hood scoop are sexy...and then others I think they look silly - but I am not going to remove them as of now.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:46 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to put on the CS style scoops. I don't care if they are functional or not.

I like the way they look and could care less what someone else thinks. I didn't buy this car for other people.

I'm also going to do the shaker hood even though it does nothing for performance. I think it looks cool and that is all that matters. I wish it was bigger for our large hoods, but again that is my own thought. Others probably think it is perfect.

If you like those scoops get them. Customize the looks of your car for you not the people on this forum. Anything performance, mod ideas, how to's or mechanical issues these forums seems to be an awesome source, but appearance is personal choice.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
Been thinking of getting these:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...coop-0509.html

they are the best looking ones IMO, I feel like the side of my car looks too stock, and I'm not really a fan of quarter window louvers.

What do you think of them? I'm hoping they will add more curves and aesthetics to my car.
The cars themselves are "all about looks". Mustangs have used looks to keep them selling, and sell they do. That's why the hood scoop looks so good on one. "Looks" is why both my Thunderbirds have rear deck spoilers .... because they look naked without .... but I know the spoiler doesn't actually "do" anything on them or our '08 Mustang GT .... they just look better with the "spoiler". I don't like the quarter window covers because they create a blind spot. I like the looks of some of the side scoops behind the doors, but that one you linked to is not one of them. I like the CS style better myself ... http://www.americanmuscle.com/sidescoop-black-0509.html .

Originally Posted by BlindGUYnAR
I'm going to put on the CS style scoops. I don't care if they are functional or not.

I like the way they look and could care less what someone else thinks. I didn't buy this car for other people.

I'm also going to do the shaker hood even though it does nothing for performance. I think it looks cool and that is all that matters. I wish it was bigger for our large hoods, but again that is my own thought. Others probably think it is perfect.

If you like those scoops get them. Customize the looks of your car for you not the people on this forum. Anything performance, mod ideas, how to's or mechanical issues these forums seems to be an awesome source, but appearance is personal choice.
That's right, people still gonna be checking it out!

I thought about the shaker hood too, but "Wife Unit" liked the one we went with better, looks like a Roush scoop, longer than stock I think. That shaker looks really nice with the matte black wide single stripe kit ..... I first thought that was the way I'ld go. But I like keeping the "Wife Unit" happy and I told her she has final word .... and "a deals a deal".

Last edited by tbear853; 06-23-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:27 AM
RenGen
Banned

Originally Posted by BlindGUYnAR

That's the best attitude I find myself getting competitive and frustrated especially when I see sn95s on the road my mind starts racing like "I HAVE TO SHOW THEM UP" but honestly the main reason I got this car in the first place is that its my escape from humanity, and I DONT want it to be trapped by other people. As far as I'm concerned, my car is the Chariot of FIRE!! (g2 baby)

My mind also changes as someone else mentioned, somedays I love the louver look, and somedays I don't - so for now I think I'm going to keep it the way it is. While we are talking about aesthetics, do most of you guys tint your tail lights or leave them as is? sometimes I feel like they look 'too red', but at night time I feel they look 'perfect' lol.

I got a louvered deck lid panel and sequential tail light harness, and trying to decide if I like it better stock or smoked. I know lotta people going gen5 tails, but 400$ for tail lights is not worth it to me.

BTW I hear that shaker system DOES help reduce heat, so it IS functional

Last edited by RenGen; 06-24-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: side scoops?