Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI/ Tuner Recommendations

Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Gents,

I know the next mod will simply have to be a CAI and tune. So with that in mind, a few questions-

Any recommendations on the intake? I am leaning towards Steeda right now.

Any recommendations on who to get the tunes from? I am torn between BAMA and Brenspeed.

Thoughts and input always welcomed. I know that with the 09's there was no way to declare any CAI requiring a tune "Better." That said I wonder which tuner is safer? I was looking for a FRPP CAI but didn't see one except for the Cobra Jet... a FRPP CAI for the base 5.0 isn't in the works is it?

Yes, the factory intake on these cars are great ... with just the CAI alone ... we have seen 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm.

With the combined tuned & 93 octane ... you can see very impressive gains in both HP & Torque.

Our tunes are very safe ... we have had 0 issues to date with engine failures or warranty claims with our tune. Our tunes are not most powerful ... but if you are looking for safe, reliable & powerful ... then look no further than Steeda.

Also, the same tunes we write for you, the consumer, are the same tunes we write for our serialized performance Mustangs that are sold at select Ford dealerships nationwide.

If you are interested. You can shoot me an email at tim@steeda.com to discuss further.

Your making a great choice by looking towards Steeda for your performance needs ... don't take my word for it ... do some searches & I will let the other members weigh in as well.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 08-14-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I went with JLT CAI + BAMA tunes for life. If you like the Steeda, that is a great option as I think they will all net about the same RWHP. I chose to do the CAI for a few extra ponies and to get rid of the hideous accordion style pipe that the factory box uses. If you ever have the hood popped at car shows or events the aftermarket CAI's look alot cleaner.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I love my steeda/bama combo
Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You can't beat the Airaid CAI and UPR tuning:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...ackage-11.html
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You know the CAIs are over priced pieces of plastic when multiple vendors appear on the same thread all pushing their snake oil.

The car comes WITH a CAI yet people think they need to buy an aftermarket "cold" air intake that actually pulls hot air, not cold air. Buying an aftermarket hot air intake is pointless unless you by a throttle body with a larger opening. Keeping the stock TB but buying a bigger air intake pipe doesn't make sense.

These vendors make great products - why don't you buy something useful from them instead of throwing money down the drain? I say again, skip aftermarket CAI and just go with the tuner.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I'll entertain the alternative propositions.

What would be a better use of coin than a CAI as far as bolt on NA HP? I feel like the tune would be a good bet just for improved throttle response.

I will say I find the stock suspension lacking. The amount of dive at break and nose up at hard throttle is annoying. And body roll. I would probs go with Steeda Sports, Koni Yellows, and Strano's sway bars for starters. Are control arms still a good investment on 14s?

A short throw is on my build list at some point- is MGW still the crem de la crem in 14s?

What does the forum think about a full NA revamp? IE Boss manifold (Will that fit under the factory strut tower brace or no?), 90mm TB (FRPP or BBK?), and CAI + Tune? Potentially supported with LT headers and a catted X pipe.

I was pretty well versed on the 09's but this 14 is a completely different car so I am looking to learn as much as I can. Right now my Mustang is a beast amongst cars but I want her to be a beast amongst Mustangs too.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:07 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

There were tests on the 05-09s that showed a handful of extra ponies out of the aftermarket units. Ford resolved those issues with 2010+ I have not seen any sort of hard data to show that aftermarket CAIs have any benefit for n/a Mustangs. *Note* A Tuner does produce results and should be purchased...just not with the snake oil intake. Ford has said time and time again that the stock box is as good as it gets.

Even *if* an aftermarket CAI gave you 3 extra hp...is that really worth paying $300+ for a piece of hollow plastic? Of course not. Get your shifter or work on that suspension you aren't happy with. You'll get results you can see with those upgrades.

Last edited by cruisin5268d; 08-14-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

You are going to have people on both sides of the fence on this one.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.

[IMG][/IMG]

The OEMs are going to say that the parts they built the car with are the best & why wouldn't they.

Do you think a company would come out & say "We built this car with parts that were good ... but there are better ones out there" ... the answer is no. They are going to stand by there product, as they should.

The truth is ... these cars are built exceptionally well ... but ... there are many improvements that can be done. From the radio, to the exhaust, the tuning & ultimately to the CAI.

Best Regards,

TJ