Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strang Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Default Strang Oil Light

Changed the oil today with Mobile 1.
My oil light is staying on for about 10 -15 seconds each time i start the engine and it goes off.
I know it sounds silly, but I cna tell a difference between the Mobile 1 and the regular ford stuff.

I checked the levels and they are perfect.

Any technical reason why that light is staying on longer than normal?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:04 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Strang Oil Light

Did you stay with the correct weight?

I'm a Redline fan, I talked to Redline oil cause I wanted to run my tried/true/trusty 20w-50. They said on the new engines, you need to run whatever weight the manufacture wants. Said wrong weight can confuse engine running.

WOW! Does that oil look thin!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

What kind of filter did you use? I don't think this is normal. Mine doesn't do it. I use 5W20 Mobil 1.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:19 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

10-15 SECONDS???

even right after a change Ive never seen one stay on more than 4-5 seconds...dunno, but I'd take it in to get it looked at- these new engines are tighter than ever clearance wise, and thats a long time without pressure even if the oil leaves a good film. hopefully just a flaky sending unit.
Does mobil one come in different weights?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:52 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I used a Ford filter. Think I'll continue to use Ford filters. I use Wix filters on my other rides. One ride as 259k miles (127k since custom engine rebuild), the other 158k miles.

I was a Fram fan till I learned they were not as good as they used to be, and I had a leaker or two.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Change was with Mobile 1 5w30 and a Mobile 1 Filter.
Yes it was the correct fitting filter.

The light is back to normal. A few starts and it was back to where it should have been. Engine ran fine, no difference when the light was on, etc.
If there was a big problem looks like 10 or so seconds with low oil pressure would have triggered an engine light.

No clue on this. Mustang seems happy now though. Oil level is perfect. Car is running better than ever. Sounds nuts but that oil did make the engine run a little better.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Personaly, I don't think it sounds nuts! I'm an avid Tufoil and Redline oil fan. Every 4k miles, but, I think, so far, on the GT it'll be 5k miles.

I put in Redline and "Tufoil" www.tufoil.com at 4.6k, I swear it runs better! And QUICK! I run eight ounces of the Tufoil in the engine. I changed out the 5 spd with Redline product and about 10 ounces of Tufoil. Trans shifts better I'm thinking.

It was funny, my wife, right after the oil change, was telling me the car did not sound the same, as in exhaust. [&o] But, I'm here to tell you, the car sounds sooo fine reving and running. Its fun finding parking garages and tunnels to run inside of. Still have stock exhaust. Probably won't change it.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM
FLOORIT

what filter did you use? I had to use a bosch filter once, guage was sluggish. Was told by the parts guy that "sometimes we just get a bad one." Changed filter again & it was fine.
ORIGINAL: Steven6095

Changed the oil today with Mobile 1.
My oil light is staying on for about 10 -15 seconds each time i start the engine and it goes off.
I know it sounds silly, but I cna tell a difference between the Mobile 1 and the regular ford stuff.

I checked the levels and they are perfect.

Any technical reason why that light is staying on longer than normal?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

They said on the new engines, you need to run whatever weight the manufacture wants. Said wrong weight can confuse engine running.
[sm=alcoholic.gif][sm=bangbang.gif][sm=bs.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=laughat.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=alcoholic.gif]
I needed a good laugh, thanks!

Old 10-18-2005, 02:52 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Laugh well, laugh long, then do your research. A lot of the valve train works with the oil now.

Quick Reply: Strang Oil Light