MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   2014 v6 3rd to 2nd gear grind (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/714929-2014-v6-3rd-to-2nd-gear-grind.html)

iamzatch 11-10-2014 04:53 PM

2014 v6 3rd to 2nd gear grind

When down shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd gear grinds most of the time. Once I get into 2nd gear with the clutch depressed if i wiggle it forward and backward it just grinds grinds grinds until I move the car to neutral.

I am able to reproduce this on basically every 3rd to 2nd downshift no matter the rpm unless the car is going slow like 10mph or lower.

Any thoughts? I'll be making an appointment but it sure is annoying.

MustangInTexas 11-10-2014 09:05 PM

Are you rev matching? Giving the gas a little blip so that the RPMs will match what the lower gear will need. If you are, I defer to someone else. I don't see this issue.

iamzatch 11-12-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas (Post 8441932)
Are you rev matching? Giving the gas a little blip so that the RPMs will match what the lower gear will need. If you are, I defer to someone else. I don't see this issue.

I am not rev matching.

I've got another issue. When shifting from 3rd to 2nd at low RPMs.. I am able to get the shifter into 2nd no issue but when I let out on the clutch the shifter jumps forward a bit and grinds grinds until it pops out of gear.

PNYXPRESS 11-12-2014 06:11 PM

Take it to the dealership. They will have to open it up and replace the gear cluster. The t-5 in my fox is doing the same thing due to a bent input shaft, broke syncros, and chipped 2nd gear teeth.

MustangInTexas 11-13-2014 07:01 AM

You NEED to do the rev matching when you downshift unless you are VERY LOW revs. If you're doing maybe 15 - 20 you MIGHT get away without it for the 3 -> 2 shift. It sounds like you're just trying to force it and your tranny won't be happy when you do that.
If you think something is broken, take it in to your dealership.

PNYXPRESS 11-13-2014 07:26 AM

This is not a rev matching issue. you do not need to rev match in order to downshift with a clutch.

MustangInTexas 11-14-2014 06:38 AM

That totally depends at what RPMs you're downshifting. If you hold the high gear until the revs are way down, no. If you're downshifting at 3k, yeah, I would never just dump it into a lower gear and let the tranny take the beating to force the motor up to 5k (or whatever). Very harsh on your car.

PNYXPRESS 11-14-2014 06:48 AM

^Yes, however the issue is getting it into gear. The trans should not grind when shifting into 2nd with the clutch disengaged. Rev matching doesn't affect shifting, or the fact it wont stay in gear after the clutch is engaged.

FordService 11-14-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by iamzatch (Post 8441870)
When down shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd gear grinds most of the time. Once I get into 2nd gear with the clutch depressed if i wiggle it forward and backward it just grinds grinds grinds until I move the car to neutral.

I am able to reproduce this on basically every 3rd to 2nd downshift no matter the rpm unless the car is going slow like 10mph or lower.

Any thoughts? I'll be making an appointment but it sure is annoying.

Have you addressed your shifting issue with your Ford Dealer yet, iamzatch?

Deysha

iamzatch 11-14-2014 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS (Post 8442741)
^Yes, however the issue is getting it into gear. The trans should not grind when shifting into 2nd with the clutch disengaged. Rev matching doesn't affect shifting, or the fact it wont stay in gear after the clutch is engaged.

PNY you have been very helpful. Can you address this concern:

If I am driving normally in 3rd gear at 2,000 rpm, and I depress the clutch and put the car into neutral and allow the rpms to fall to idle rpms... and while the clutch still depressed should I be able to move the gear shifting knob into 2nd gear with absolutely NO grinding and no issues at all?

I want to take a video of this tomorrow and show you.