Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More boost or not?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:29 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

As long as you don't go WOT from a stop or slow roll all the time the trans and rear will hold up to quite a bit of power. It's that sudden blast of torque that breaks them.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Another note to add. When your driving on the highway and someone pulls next to you and they want to race. Say your going 50 if you mash the pedal kick downs like that are extremely rough on motors. Doesn't matter if its stock or built you can easily pop your motor doing that. Trannys and motors run much better from a slow roll or from stop. Meaning they will take much more abuse that way rather than highways speeds and flooring it
Old 03-21-2015, 10:28 PM
curbside

Ok, im back. Just had car back on dyno with the new motor, 496hp without going up on boost, runs strong and shifts perfect. I might go back to a factory stall though, not digging the delay at highway speed and stomping it.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

High Horsepower kickdowns will wreck your tranny in short order. Shut off OD before you stomp on it at highway speeds or you will be looking for a new transmission soon.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by curbside
Ok, im back. Just had car back on dyno with the new motor, 496hp without going up on boost, runs strong and shifts perfect. I might go back to a factory stall though, not digging the delay at highway speed and stomping it.
you should not be doing this at all. kick downs are horrible on motors whether or not they are built. Do you read any comments that are provided
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

What kind of question is that. Freaking yeah if the motor will handle it.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 AM
curbside

Originally Posted by outceltj
you should not be doing this at all. kick downs are horrible on motors whether or not they are built. Do you read any comments that are provided
yeah i read them, you say bad at highway speeds others wrote bad from dead stop or slow roll.... Did you read this thread??
Old 03-25-2015, 10:43 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

From a stop the tranny is fine. Rolling kick down shifts will destroy that tranny. Never stomp it on the highway and have it downshift more than one gear........otherwise it will blow.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by curbside
yeah i read them, you say bad at highway speeds others wrote bad from dead stop or slow roll.... Did you read this thread??
you should be gathering info from people that have been around awhile. Guys that actually race ask any shop that's in the drag race scene and they will tell what I have said, 808, jpplaw, simon1. Hell ill give you some contact info for guys that are in the NHRA so you don't do something stupid. Just trying to help here bud. Its expensive and I hate seeing someone blow their **** up b/c they were told the wrong info
Old 04-18-2015, 11:06 PM
curbside

Originally Posted by outceltj
you should be gathering info from people that have been around awhile. Guys that actually race ask any shop that's in the drag race scene and they will tell what I have said, 808, jpplaw, simon1. Hell ill give you some contact info for guys that are in the NHRA so you don't do something stupid. Just trying to help here bud. Its expensive and I hate seeing someone blow their **** up b/c they were told the wrong info
Gotcha Bro, Thats why I joined this site. I can Tell you what a crotch rocket can handle (pretty much anything short of a grenade) but Im new to modded cars. Im at 9lbs boost with 496 rwhp, I can go up on boost but I cant find consistent numbers on tranny and rearend limits. My mechanic says Im close to having to worry about tranny, rearend, suspension etc, but said I MIGHT get away with more boost. I dont want to get to where I have more power than I can use without breaking something.(again) Ill be easy on the highways, and I havent had a chance to WOT launch from a dead stop, Im rarely home to even drive this car. I just want the car safely maxed out for what it has already. Its gonna be a run around car with occasional weekend warrior drags(1/8 mile)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More boost or not?