Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More boost or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:37 PM
curbside

Default More boost or not?

Hi guys, Im new here. I have an 06 GT with Saleen supercharger and methanol, running 9-10 boost last dyno was 451, that motor is gone. New motor has forged internals. Should I now go for more boost is the question. Transmission has been inside of by previous owner (who knows who that is) but don't know what was done. Shifts hard and smooth as is,(its an auto) I just don't want to destroy the tranny, like I did the motor. What is the next weakest link on these cars transmission or rear end? Oh also has high stall converter.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:38 PM
curbside

Old 02-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Zerefi

I was told weak links are intake and and then the rear end, after my s/c i got the ford racing intake and 3.73 gears, sorry about your old motor idk if thats much help to you though cus i got mine done professionaly because I was scared I'd mess something up lol, basically have a 91 octane tune thats written similar to the stock gt500 tune in terms of throttle response/spark timing (so its not super aggressive, but its really fun to drive as a DD and a "fun car".)
Old 02-13-2015, 06:48 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zerefi
I was told weak links are intake and and then the rear end, after my s/c i got the ford racing intake and 3.73 gears, sorry about your old motor idk if thats much help to you though cus i got mine done professionaly because I was scared I'd mess something up lol, basically have a 91 octane tune thats written similar to the stock gt500 tune in terms of throttle response/spark timing (so its not super aggressive, but its really fun to drive as a DD and a "fun car".)
How is the intake the weak link with a Saleen s/c? It replaces the entire intake.

The weak link would be you rear diff if its the stock unit. I would see about upgrading to a Auburn or Torsen diff.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The rear end depends on how you use the ca. rIf you're not running drag slicks, then I doubt you'll be able to break anything on the rear end, other than maybe burning through the limited slip clutch packs.
The auto trans is probably the next weak link and I have no idea what it will handle. Besides that, I think maybe a billet tensioner for the serpentine belt would be a good measure to keep from throwing belts as you increase boost. Thump racing makes a good one.

If you haven't already, you should check out the SEOC forum: http://saleenforums.soec.org/ There are some people there that really know their stuff on Saleens and can help you find hard to get Saleen parts if necessary.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM
curbside

You are right about the belt tensioner, my belt kept snapping, I was away and had a buddy taking care of getting the car re-tuned. Turned out the tensioner was bent, I had read about that happening online. During all this a rod broke and went through the block...Ok, too much power for stock assembly. Went forged rods, pistons, crank, high flow oil pump and head studs, really high compression, don't know the numbers. Car is running strong. Transmission shifting perfect, tuner thinks I can get around 600ish rwhp, If I will be needing to replace tranny...thats what Im not sure. Still breaking in new engine so haven't gone too crazy yet, just a little hard. Im running BF t/a 295x45 tires in the rear, I'm guessing I wouldn't even be able to get enough traction to break anything, or warrant more power(un-usable) What do you guys think. Im new high hp cars, I can ride a built GSXR 1000 to its limits but don't know the limits of these cars and components. When is there enough power...if that exists hahahah.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:41 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have done a lot of work to my car and I still have stock rearend and stock tranny. However I have a hardened input shaft on mine and a tci torque converter (TCI 3000). I have been told your good to about 550 on the tranny and im right there. Im actually in the process of getting a trutrac diff for mine and im swapping the TCI for a circle D converter. I haven't had any issues with tranny or rearend. I take my car to the track about 5 to 6 times a year with slicks.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:07 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by curbside
When is there enough power...if that exists hahahah.
It's only temporarily enough while you get used to new power levels, and then you want more.

Originally Posted by outceltj
I have done a lot of work to my car and I still have stock rearend and stock tranny. However I have a hardened input shaft on mine and a tci torque converter (TCI 3000). I have been told your good to about 550 on the tranny and im right there. Im actually in the process of getting a trutrac diff for mine and im swapping the TCI for a circle D converter. I haven't had any issues with tranny or rearend. I take my car to the track about 5 to 6 times a year with slicks.
All I can say is the stock rear end is pretty tough. I don't do drag launches, which would probably be a lot harder on it, but In standing mile runs, the tires I run have grip in 3rd and up, let's just say the stock rear end has held up while putting down over 900RWHP. That said, I've just had it rebuilt since it was probably the weakest link in my drivetrain.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would do a few things if I were in the OPs place

1. Find out exactly what transmission you have. If it's the stock one, but just rebilt, see if you can find out. But really it doesn't matter in the long run. If I found out the tranny didn't hold the power I wanted, I would still put the power to it I wanted and just fix the tranny right when it broke.

2. Decide what you want to have powerwise. The Saleen blower generally will max out around 550 rwhp. Which is nothing to sneeze at, but from what I've been told by other Saleen owners it looses it efficency at that level. So people end up switching because they want more power.

You won't have to run methanol with another twin screw blower and would be able to make more power. If you have a good heat exchanger and such.

Just a suggestion.

And if you are drag racing and need your rear end rebuilt, buy a new trutrac and never look back.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:00 AM
curbside

Thanks guys. The mechanic did say it looked like the tranny had been worked on, considering he did the new engine I'm guessing he could see different input shaft and bushing/sleeve. I don't think there would be anything else to see without taking it apart, but I'm no mechanic. Ill ask him what was different, I know it has I think a 3k stall on it. I won't be going for more power than the saleen can do, the car has more power than what I was looking for, but hell if I have a forged engine why not squeeze a little more. Its just a simple pulley swap, so long as everything else is good. Ill run it and see what happens. Atleast the most expensive part is out of the way. Again thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: More boost or not?