Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

random stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Default random stalling issue

Wanting to see if anyone has had a similar issue, and what the potential fixes may be. I have been scratching my head on this on for several years. With only 39,000mi as of this past weekend, it doesn't get driven a lot so its not a pressing issue time wise.

I have a Procharger on this car, and throwing that in for storyline purposes. At first, this was occurring only at around 1/4 full fuel tank level, with random stalling. While driving it would have these random stalls with no pattern. idling at a stoplight, accelerating away from a stop, and even just highway cruising. If on the highway, the stalling would start back up on its own just because the engine is still turning and ignition is on. Idling and accelerating would require a quick shift to neutral, and restarting on the fly. Sucks when going through an intersection. After a summer of dealing with this, the fuel pump went out, so I replaced the "add-a-pump" with a GT500 set-up. I was hopeful that this was the issue and had it solved. Nope, not so lucky. The fuel level stalling was gone, but random stalling remained. I had a CRecorder data recorder for the ODBII. I plugged that in for several drives and found that the MAF signal would drop off for about 1-2 sec. All this started after Procharger used my car to test the new MAF location at the intercooler outlet to sell for future kits. They had to add a MAFia to lengthen the wiring harness for its new location. The MAFia was located on the fan shroud. I felt the heat killed it, so they gave me a new one, and I moved it between the radiator and the headlight to keep outside air blowing over it. Problem went away for the rest of the summer and the next summer during the hottest time, it started acting up again. Once again they gave me a new one. I am on my 4th one from them right now, and once it was replaced, it stalled again on the first ride. 2 weeks ago, I replaced the MAF sensor with a new one from Ford. This past weekend, I drove it to a family birthday party 2 hrs away, and it stalled 5 times, and stumbled a number of times on the highway.
The CRecorder is somewhat useful, but does not record a whole lot of parameters. After this long ride, I know I am losing spark or fuel for only about 1-2 seconds. The ignition/lights do not flicker in the least so that isn't where the issue is at. The Predator tuner that came with the Procharger does show fuel pressure, so I may use that next time out to see if it drops off. Other than checking the continuity of the extra MAF wiring harness, I am lost. Its so sporadic, and unrepeatable, that leaving it at a shop for diagnosis would be pointless. During the ride and feeling it over and over, the loss of the MAF reading could simply be from the lack of air flowing through it. Since the engine stalls...no air flow signal for it to send to ECU.

Has anyone else seen these symptoms before? My wife is convinced its Prochargers fault, but I am certain it is not, and is something anyone else may have experienced, stock or not. No TSB's seem to fit the symptoms.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 08-03-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Does the Procharger use the stock throttle body?

Rough idle, sputtering and stalling are signs that the throttle body may need cleaning. Might be worth checking just to rule it out.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I still have the stock TB.
Now, I know the idle air control has to work considerably harder with a Procharger, since it has to allow more air in to keep it idling due to the drag the head unit causes. I could try cleaning it. Never really would have considered this to be a source of the issue due to the lack of miles. But it is worth a try. It idles and runs just fine. Roughness is not an issue. Just sporadic stalling.

Still open for any other ideas as well.