Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelt warning charm

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 10:47 AM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Seatbelt warning charm

I found this, not sure if it works, I will try when it stops raining.

You can Deactivate the Belt Minder two ways. First, you can deactivate it temporarily for your current "run cycle", that is after you have started your car and it's still running. Second, you completely deactivate the Belt Minder so that it never reminds you again, or at least until your reactivate it...

The first method, temporary deactivation, or one time disable: After you have started your vehicle, buckle and then un-buckle your safety belt. Be sure to buckle back up.... This will disable the Belt Minder only for that ignition cycle.

The second method, permanent deactivation: There are 9 steps you need to follow to deactivate or activate your Belt Minder system. Before doing so, make sure that:

* The parking brake is set.
* The truck/car is in Park (automatic), Neutral (manual).
* The ignition is OFF.
* All doors are closed.
* The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
* The parking and headlights are OFF.

Then follow these 9 steps:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
2. Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).

Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!

3. Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
4. Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
5. Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.

After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.

6. Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt.

This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

7. Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds.
8. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.
9. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrojunkee

.......Geeeeez, try and help out a fellow board member, state "your opinion" and basically get called stupid ?? Not cool !!!!
No wonder so many cool people have left this place.......
I'm sure PW was just being funny. Even if he implied that he was stupid, moderators have opinions too. As far a seat belts go, I don't think anyone (with the exception of children) should be forced to wear a belt or helmet. The goverment shouldn't have the ability to tell you that it's required. I wear mine all the time, but that doesn't mean I like it. I just know what the belts are designed for and how much more dangerous cars are because of air bags and being made out of beer cans. If anyone is afraid of getting stuck they should get one of those seat belt cutting tools. I was also stuck in a wrecked car because of a faulty belt, no fire though.

That being said...

I'm sure there must be something you can disconnect to get rid of it. If I get time I'll take a look, I was looking for an excuse to take something apart anyway.

Hoose84
Old 10-22-2005, 03:15 PM
S.SubZero
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Packoo

Stupid not to wear a belt... IMO, stupid to wear a belt especially now that air bags are standard...

All I know is what I lived through, FIRE throughout the car and I cant get to the seatbelt release and when I did it was jammed... I almost burned to death...

Stupid is as stupid does, I WILL NEVER WEAR A BELT AGAIN...

My money, my car and my life.
If the car you were in was in an accident bad enough to damage the seat belt release (which is near the center of the car) *and* set the car on fire, then more than likely not having the belt on would have killed you outright. Despite being "trapped", the seat belt in reality did it's job and prevented you from making a less-than-graceful exit from the vehicle or introducing your face to the steering wheel very unpolitely.

One of the reasons seat belts are a law is because the money to treat people who are injured in car accidents does not materialize out of thin air. If you are hit hard and you're not wearing a seat belt, you will probably be injured severely. This will:

1. Create strain on insurance companies who instead of treating you for shock and maybe a broken bone or two now have to cover facial reconstruction, artificial limbs, brain damage, etc. Alot of people getting injured severely in accidents makes my insurance rates go up.
2. Create strain on the state. Instead of treating you for some lacerations and having you off work for a couple of days, you injured your spine when you landed outside the car and now you're paralyzed from the neck down. You're now a liability to the state, and unless you're Christopher Reeve you will probably not give back an amount equal to what it costs to support you. Straining the state is bad because it makes my taxes go up.
3. Create strain on families. Even if you live in an underground bunker and dream of destroying the oppressive american government and instating southern democracy or anarchy or fascism or whatever, you may have a wife, or a husband, and kids, and brothers and sisters who love you. If you're not going to buckle up because it's a law, buckle up because you don't want your spouse to get that phone call that you were killed in a very survivable auto accident because you weren't wearing a seat belt.

Despite everyone complaining about the law, I'll remind you that federal law governed every stage of your car's design. Despite your belief, Ford can't just make anything they want and sell it. The MAN has to approve it! It is hypocritical to "fight the man" by not wearing your seatbelt in a car you bought off a dealer's lot and paid tax, licensing, registration, and whatever other fees for. You approved whatever laws govern your vehicle when you paid for it.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:25 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

Stupid not to wear a belt... IMO, stupid to wear a belt especially now that air bags are standard...

All I know is what I lived through, FIRE throughout the car and I cant get to the seatbelt release and when I did it was jammed... I almost burned to death...

maybe so.. but you should understand that that happening is probobly a million to 1 chance, where as getting into an accident and dying from no belt is probobly a 500 to 1 chance. The benifits of wearing a belt outway the negatives by a sh*t load
Old 10-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Ummm...there is at least one flaw in your statement above---You keep forgetting how the seatbelt is ALSO designed to help you maintain control of your vehicle.

If you are being tossed about Raggedy Andy style in the car, lose control of your vehicle, and run into MY family----THEN it has extended WAY beyond your "rights" to not wear a seatbelt.

You're being selfish---not all laws are made to just protect you!

When your choices put OTHERS at risk---that's a good reason for a law. Far as I can tell, that's the situation for seatbelt laws.

It's also to protect MY FAMILY against drivers that think they "shouldn't" wear a belt....and to protect the driver.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Dilligaf

OK I have to chime in. Being a Firefighter Paramedic I think everyone should NOT wear their seatbelts. It makes my job so much easier if you self extricate from your vehicle. I hate nothing more than having to get the jaws of life out start up the hydraulic pump crush your door (the jaws are very heavy and every time I use them I sweat, I hate that) disconnect your seatbelt and pull you from the wreckage treat your injuries and sometimes take you to the hospital. I would much more prefer to roll up to the scene and pick your broke body off the street or the hood put you in a bag and have someone else (coroner) cart you away. So please give a Fireman a break and don't wear those seat belts. PSA Over

Actually I have been to many many wrecks and I have never seen one where the occupant would have been better off being ejected or bounced around inside the passenger compartment. Guess I haven’t seen it all. Seatbelts save lives. Sorry for your experience glad you are around to post aboout it though!

Scott
Old 10-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

OUCH!

That hurt.... My apologies to anyone I may have offended with my stupid statement, it wasn’t directed specifically at any single person... However - I have to say, It doesn’t change the fact that I believe anyone who doesn't wear his or her seatbelt (or Helmet on Motorcycles) is pretty stupid. And Yes, because I am a Moderator I do have to be careful how I say things, but it doesn’t change that fact I am a thinking human and therefore entitled to my opinions and should be allowed to express same.

I never said any particular person is stupid. I only stated a general statement in regards to people who won’t wear restraints.

And... I don't buy the "This happened to me and I lived because" statement, because I am one of those people. When I was 16 I hit a concrete highway-dividing wall when my left front tire exploded. I wasn’t wearing a seatbelt so I was thrown into the passenger side of the car and halfway out the passenger window. The wall essentially cut the car in half pretty much removing the drivers side. So, I could make the statement that NOT wearing a seatbelt saved my life.

BUT - - all through my late teens and my early twenties I raced dirt track, and I volunteered with Gateway React assisting with major accidents in an emergency. So I have first hand experience as to what happens to an unrestrained human body, especially in a roll over or a High impact, angled trajectory, crash (Which happen to be the majority of most crashes beyond fender benders.

I had a 5-point belt in my Torino Cobra, and I’m considering a 4-point in my Mustang if I start thinking about rally racing her.

Now... about the Seat Belt Buzzer… It NEVER goes off in my car!… duh!

The Headlight, Key and other buzzers do drive me nuts and I wish they would only ding a couple of times and quit.

Seatbelts - -- like Abortion - - always a HOT subject for some reason!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Funny how this sounds alot like the "Helmet or no Helmet" motorcyclists arguement! At least some states still let you have the choice to wear one or not. Oklahoma requires seatbelts, they do seatbelt checks by blocking off a lane and actually looking in your car to see if you and your passengers have them on.

I been waiting for someone to say those auto-locking doors on the Mustang needs to be disabled because if you were to plunge into a lake or something you are definatly locked into your car because all the electrical will be shorted out soon as the water gets to it. Only way out is to probably to break a window.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

LOL...

IF it is SUMMER.... not a problem for me... I would just swim out the big hole where my roof would be!

The Autolocking doors is something that made me wonder as well.

Remember that movie with Arnold where he was a cop and wrecked his futuristic cop car and it filled with foam imobilizing him in a cocoon. that was pretty cool!

Now.... has anyone forced their buzzer to go off yet, and found the actualy unit to see if it could be unplugged????
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

LOL oh yeah well true with us that have converts, easier to tear a hole in the roof huh!

Quick Reply: Seatbelt warning charm