Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 PM
S197GT05

Default Need advice for Nitrous

I have an 05 mustang gt I'm looking to put a 75 wet shot in. It's mildly modded. Stock clutch though. Worried about the clutch part of I install nnitrous. Just looking for advice on if the clutch can take it all and overall advice on installing it.

P.S. New to the site. Pretty sure I posted this in a wrong spot before.

Last edited by JimC; 02-17-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 AM
JimC

Nitrous! Not the "fast and furious" wording - "NOS" is not the same as "nitrous", it is the name of one system.

When you do install nitrous you will want a purge kit (to get fresh nitrous to the solenoids before launching the car), a heater because in PA you will find it cool enough in early spring and late fall track days that you won't be able to keep enough pressure in the bottle. Get a window switch so that you control when it comes on, don't rely upon the system reading when you are at wide open throttle. Can't answer you on the clutch issue.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:32 AM
S197GT05

Originally Posted by JimC
Nitrous! Not the "fast and furious" wording - "NOS" is not the same as "nitrous", it is the name of one system.

When you do install nitrous you will want a purge kit (to get fresh nitrous to the solenoids before launching the car), a heater because in PA you will find it cool enough in early spring and late fall track days that you won't be able to keep enough pressure in the bottle. Get a window switch so that you control when it comes on, don't rely upon the system reading when you are at wide open throttle. Can't answer you on the clutch issue.
Thanks. Yeah I don't know what the stock clutch is rated at but I'm hearing a lot about it needing replaced. I'm just trying to purchase the nitrous setup without having a new clutch and was curious how long I could ride it out for haha
Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Your stock clutch could fail tomorrow.

We don't know how many miles are on the car, how you drive, type of normal driving clutch sees, how previous owners drove, any manufactures defects that existed on the clutch so there is absolutely no way to say when clutch will go.

The one thing you can count on is that with a 75 shot it will fail sooner than it would have if left stock.

Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but you just need to decide to go for it or not knowing the clutch could die at any point. More power equals more broken parts chances period.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM
JimC

As far as the kit, get a wet kit. A dry kit will rely upon your computer to recognize the extra oxygen when the nitrous breaks it down and add fuel, while a wet kit will add fuel at the same time. In my opinion the wet kit is much safer to use.