Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune Shifting Patterns

Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune Shifting Patterns

Anyone know the exact shifting pattern changes made with tunes(any) compared to factory tune. Im curious what exactly they have changed and such.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:43 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the patter wont change, its not like they are going to shift up 2 gears then back down 1,lol. they will usually just hold gears longer before upshifts, and increase line pressure a bit to firm up the shifts.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:14 AM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
the patter wont change, its not like they are going to shift up 2 gears then back down 1,lol. they will usually just hold gears longer before upshifts, and increase line pressure a bit to firm up the shifts.
really thats it?
Old 05-14-2016, 06:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I suspect that the timing of the various clutch/band 'apply' and 'release' functions gets tinkered with as well, to speed up the time it takes to get each shift physically accomplished.

Much more than that and I think you'd be looking at locking out the automated shifting and going full manual control. Probably a little too serious for most street driving.

Norm
Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Well, there ain't no bands in this trans...really in any automatic made since the 1970s. This setup is arranged like a stacked series of motorcycle style wet clutches. This is why this trans can take so much power without issue.

Change the line pressure, change the electronic strategy, torque converter strategy, it's more than it sounds.

Last edited by P51C; 05-14-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:37 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
Well, there ain't no bands in this trans...really in any automatic made since the 1970s. This setup is arranged like a stacked series of motorcycle style wet clutches. This is why this trans can take so much power without issue.

Change the line pressure, change the electronic strategy, torque converter strategy, it's more than it sounds.
you obviously dont know anything about transmissions, bands are still utilized to this day, as a matter of fact the 5r55 transmission used 3 of them and was the auto used in explorers and mustangs up until very recently. if you dont kniow what you are talking about, dont type it here, people dont need bad information
Old 05-15-2016, 08:55 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

I'll give you that, I don't know nuthin' about the 5r55 but, your statement probably explains some of the disappointing power handling capabilities of that juicebox. I'd be pleased to be directed to current automobile transmissions still relying on this kind of technology bc, I ain't seen one in a while. Merc, BMW, Porsche, none appear to use this any more.

...and how am am I wrong about the 6r80? There are no bands in there. That's what the op is asking about, I'm pretty sure. I'll accept my statement as a little too all-encompassing but, no real harm done.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

...and how am am I wrong about the 6r80? There are no bands in there. That's what the op is asking about, I'm pretty sure. I'll accept my statement as a little too all-encompassing but, no real harm done.
Whether this transmission uses bands and clutches or only clutches is irrelevant to the point that I was originally making - that the 'apply' and 'release' functions for the friction elements (is that better?) would get some revision as well as the line pressures and gear vs mph vs demand mapping.

Norm
Old 05-15-2016, 09:55 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

..allright, everyone is pretty much circling the wagons here. I'll be the first to stop. I apologize to whom I have offended.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:26 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

..allright, everyone is pretty much circling the wagons here. I'll be the first to stop. I apologize to whom I have offended.
not offended, but bad information on an information based forum is bad news. blanket statements are also misleading and a bad idea, thats all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune Shifting Patterns