Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panel Covering Comming Loose.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:56 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Unhappy Door Panel Covering Comming Loose.

I have an '05 GT which I keep up and keep "like new" clean. I was just out there doing that.

That perforated material above the armrests is my problem. The driver side has been becoming "puffy" of late, when I think that from the factory it was firm. This morning I found that it is now separating from the panel under it along the top/rear edge. Up till now I had not a clue what was behind the perforated material and I left well enough alone.

So, of course, I think of you folks, as I've been dropping by here for many years.

Could you recommend a product to reattach the perforated material to the material behind it? Also, should I pull some more of the perforated material free from the backing and use your recommended product to make it all "firm" again?

Lastly, many of you folks are mighty "handy" whereas me, I get by, usually do a good job when I decide to tackle it myself, but, I really appreciate an "easy" do it myself, looks perfect when done job.

TIA for your input.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Otter

Everything you want to know about sagging door panel leather (Clickee)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Just had that happen to both doors on my '06 GT 'Vert. Took to a shop and had both done for $100. They look as good as new. By the way, my car is super clean and garage kept, but I do drive her year round.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 11-07-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:27 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

My 07 GT is an always covered garage queen and occasional weekend driver and mine sagged about a year ago. I took mine to the upholstery shop used by the Ford dealer where I bought mine. He has done 100's of them and has the fix down to a science. He pulled the loose panels back and completely removed all of the foam from both the door and the leather. He then carefully sprayed a special adhesive from a compressor powered spray gun (not any rattle can junk). It took him 2 hours and cost $120 and it looks PERFECT. Whatever you do, don't try it yourself because you will likely ruin it. Find an upholstery shop that has repaired these for a Ford dealer and get it done correctly. You won't be sorry.

Last edited by cavediver; 11-09-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

^I agree. Some jobs are better left to a pro. Mine, as I said, cost me $100 and it looks perfect.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:56 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

OK, I stopped stalling this morning. Took recommends and called Ford, she didn't know of the problem, said to come by. That didn't feel right. Called my body shop, they don't dabble in interiors, and didn't have a local referral for an upholstery shop.

On the day of my first posting I texted my brother. A VERY handy fellow and a car buff. He's probably had near 50 or more cars. Buys one he likes, has fun, cleans, repairs, and if someone offers him money with a profit, he takes it and the car is gone.

He recommended a product named "Phenoseal" which is an adhesive, clear drying, water soluble caulk. He's been using it for years on any number of things. When I called him this morning to double check and he told me it was "stupid proof" he got my interest!

So, I took the message about rubbing off that material to get to the base door, which I most likely would not have thought of on my on. (stupid, I know) I also peeled the material down to the armrest as he said, on my own I was thinking of just attempting to not touching what I didn't need to do.

I sparingly applied the Phenoseal to the door's surface with my fingers (thinking my usual "more is better" approach may not be a good idea here) Did it all over the surface. When I decide to do the passenger side, (tomorrow me thinks) I would also apply the Phenoseal along the edge of the leather also. When I did this door I had to get some into the edges where it was being remiss about sticking. I then used a damp rag to apply pressure to the leather working bottom center upwards and outwards. Using the damp rag gives you an easy glide, and if any stuff exits the edges you use it for cleaning it off. I also used a stiff spatula to get the edges bedded into crack and a paper towel to get any "white" I did see. I gave it 45 minutes of alone time, just went out and looked at it and it is looking good. Brother says it'll take about two days to be totally cured.

That's my two cents!

I've been going out to see how my door panel is looking. Still looking like new. Just wanted to say, that by "feel" that when I do the passenger door, I think I am going to be more liberal in the application of the Phenoseal.

Last edited by algregory; 11-10-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Decided to add in liberal use
Old 11-10-2016, 05:08 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I attempted to fix my driver's side a couple years ago with contact cement, I must have screwed it up because as soon as it got hot the next summer it fell off again, and now I don't think I can fix it correctly because of all the old glue. I'm planning on just replacing my door panels with base model ones that don't have the vinyl on them.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:49 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I attempted to fix my driver's side a couple years ago with contact cement, I must have screwed it up because as soon as it got hot the next summer it fell off again, and now I don't think I can fix it correctly because of all the old glue. I'm planning on just replacing my door panels with base model ones that don't have the vinyl on them.
Between the Phenoseal and the Caulk Gun I put out near exactly $8. My brother says he's been using this stuff for years on all matter of things. He also said it was "stupid proof" and the label says it "sticks" a lot of things. If you can get your vinyl clear of the door, and have a smooth enough surface exposed, give it a shot!

He didn't say that I would have "re-do" in my future, he did say he's been using it for years, more than 30 of them in hot and humid Florida, and near 19 of them in hot and humid, cold and damp North Carolina. FWIW
Old 11-11-2016, 02:15 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Door Panel Covering Comming Loose

I did the passenger side today. Was more liberal with the caulk. Yesterday on driver side, first time doing this, I applied to fingers then spread on door panel. Today I applied beads/lines to the door panel, then spread with fingers. I also applied a bead and heavier application along the upper edges to get past the wee issue I was having yesterday.

I'm attempting to attach pictures to this posting, haven't done that either.
Attached Thumbnails Door Panel Covering Comming Loose.-cimg4692.jpg   Door Panel Covering Comming Loose.-cimg4693.jpg   Door Panel Covering Comming Loose.-cimg4694.jpg   Door Panel Covering Comming Loose.-cimg4695.jpg