Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intremittent engine overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Su Roberts

Default intremittent engine overheating

my 2005 mustang gt is starting to suddenly display engine overheating. It has done this off and on but not constantly. Any suggestions.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Is there any pattern to the conditions under which it tries to overheat? (Like only when stopped in traffic, etc.?)

Has any part of the cooling system been serviced recently? (Fluid change, etc.?)

How "suddenly" does the dash report overheating? Is it just a swift motion from C to H, or does the needle erratically jump?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Su Roberts

It's very sudden it goes instantly from c to h. I did a systems check and said everything is ok. It happened a few weeks ago then again yesterday
Old 11-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Su Roberts

I also want to add I pulled over immediately when I felt the hood it was still cold
Old 11-11-2016, 09:16 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Those are the typical symptoms of a thermostat that's stuck closed. Replace it ASAP before you end up with a blown head gasket.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:43 PM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Su Roberts
I also want to add I pulled over immediately when I felt the hood it was still cold
Feeling the hood is not a good indicator. Doing the basics will help to pinpoint the problem. You can use a Infrared thermometer to get a reading at the thermostat housing. Make sure your fans are running properly and fluid level is correct.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Su Roberts
It's very sudden it goes instantly from c to h. I did a systems check and said everything is ok.
I'm afraid I don't know much about how thorough the "systems check" is, but your description sounds like a fault in the gauge, the temp sending unit, or somewhere in between.

I like dusman59's suggestion. Run those basic checks and see if it really is overheating.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:41 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

It's the fan controller module. Mine started doing that too. I Just replaced the whole fan assembly with the GT500 one and got a 3 row aluminum radiator while I was at it, but the stock GT fan is pretty cheap, no point in replacing just the module.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8607L/2005-...g-Fan-Assembly
Old 11-16-2016, 04:40 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
It's the fan controller module.
A non-working fan would cause a gradual rise in the coolant temp. gauge from C to H, not a sudden one. I still think it's a sticking thermostat 'cause I had exactly the same thing happen a few years ago on my old '95 GT. Exactly 3 minutes after a cold start, the gauge would rocket from just above C to H almost instantly.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by flash_xx
It's the fan controller module. Mine started doing that too. I Just replaced the whole fan assembly with the GT500 one and got a 3 row aluminum radiator while I was at it, but the stock GT fan is pretty cheap, no point in replacing just the module.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8607L/2005-...g-Fan-Assembly
That is just an OEM type replacement for the stock one though? Unless you linked to the wrong item?

Plastic Electric Cooling Fan
OE Design Mounts To Factory Locations
>>>>>Stock Airflow