Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end popping again after complete rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 37ford
There's no noticeable play in the system. I've wiggled and tugged on everything and cant replicate all the noises in the shop.

I swapped the strut mounts for the Ford Racing version this past weekend. I knew at least on was bad because I could try to twist the spring at the top and get some noise, but I still have another noise when backing up and turning. Never again will I buy cheaper parts. I guess I'm going to take off the sway bar for a couple days to try to eliminate anything related to it.
Do you feel anything while you are backing up and turning, or is it just a noise? If it's just a noise, I would say it's probably the LCA needs to be lubricated. If you feel something like your car is rolling over something on the ground, then I would say that was the front control arm.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 AM
37ford

I checked the LCA main bolts a couple days ago, and the one on the side where the noise was coming from was under torqued. I tightened it up, and no more noise...so far.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 37ford
I checked the LCA main bolts a couple days ago, and the one on the side where the noise was coming from was under torqued. I tightened it up, and no more noise...so far.
Which bolt(s)? The two that go over the big bushing or the one behind the steering rack boot?

Did you use blue loctite when you put it all back together? It's recommended to use blue loctite when replacing suspension/steering components that do not have lock nuts or crown nuts.

The exceptions are the lower strut mounting bolts to steering knuckle.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:05 PM
37ford

The front ones behind the rack boot. No, didn't use loctite.

After changing the strut mount, my steering wheel wants to turn more on its own if I turn more than one round, as opposed to the typical self-centering action. Doesn't caster usually affect that the most? That shouldn't have changed. I guess it's time for an alignment after all this. The car still drives really straight, though.