Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:40 PM
astresing

Default AC Clutch Question

I have a new 05 V6 with less than 1,000 miles on it. The car was making a strange noise repeatedly, so I took the car to the dealership to ask them about it. The service person identified the noise very quickly. It was the AC Clutch (I think?), turning itself off and on to prevent damage to something in the condenser. I think that's what he said anyway. The bottom line is he says the noise is normal. I'm thinking this can't be normal. It's very annoying. It seems to turn off and on every 30-60 secs though I haven't officially timed it yet. Can someone tell me about this? Do all mustangs do this or is this really a problem?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:14 PM
astresing

Default RE: AC Clutch Question

I found this post while searching the web. It's sounds just like my problem. But the solution is never mentioned in the post. Hopefully this will help provide more detail. Thanks.

1997 Ford Explorer

When in DRIVE or REVERSE and with the air conditioner turned on, the AC clutch will engage, then about 1 second later will disengage, another 1 second, re-engage, and so on and so on; in a continiously cycle. The air conditioner does blow cold air, so it is compressing (at lease part if the time it is engaged.) If I put the Explorer in PARK or NEUTRAL the AC clutch engages and stay engaged as is should. As you can imagine, while driving the engine has a difficult time idling properly.

At first, I thought this was an AC clutch problem, but after discovering that it works fine in PARK or NEUTRAL it must be something else. How does the AC system interact with the transmission drive system? Is this a computer glitch? Has anybody seem this behavior before, or know what I can do to repair it?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

i dont think there is a solution..my car does it to...if it breaks its under warrenty so i dont worry about it
Old 10-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: astresing

I have a new 05 V6 with less than 1,000 miles on it. The car was making a strange noise repeatedly, so I took the car to the dealership to ask them about it. The service person identified the noise very quickly. It was the AC Clutch (I think?), turning itself off and on to prevent damage to something in the condenser. I think that's what he said anyway. The bottom line is he says the noise is normal. I'm thinking this can't be normal. It's very annoying. It seems to turn off and on every 30-60 secs though I haven't officially timed it yet. Can someone tell me about this? Do all mustangs do this or is this really a problem?
An A/C system will ALWAYS cycle on and off (just like the A/C in your home). The question is, what is considered excessive cycling or noise? That is the question you need to ask the tech.

If you turn the A/C on full blast with the doors open in the car the A/C clutch should stay engaged/on. If you close the doors and windows and turn the A/C to the lowest setting, it should cycle on/off every few seconds. That's how the system regulates the temperature in the car. Has nothing to do with the Condensor.

Excessive noise could be a problem with the bearings in the A/C compressor or clutch, excessive cycling could be something else.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

I noticed this same problem!!! [:@]

I just don't use the AC... I have windows and FAST WIND to cool me off.

https://mustangforums.com/m_737712/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#738408