Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne Bell 2.8 lc install review

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bstang14
Flash_xx. I get it. I'm just not buying that om going to nuke the motor of I don't tune it. Also, not likely to gain a ton of power from a dyno tune. I appreciate all of the good input there, but I'm still not convinced of any vast differences in the 5.0 that would cause significant issues with the canned tune. Its likely a pretty conservative tune and I'm taking the gamble, I guess, in that respect. At some point I may dyno just for my own interest. Again, I do appreciate your constructive input. Pissing about choke points is another story
Congrats on the install. The point of the data log on the dyno is to check and make sure everything described by KB is correct. Different cars and different climates can and does make a huge difference in drivability. KB has a history of putting a lot of timing into their tunes, a data log on a dyno would give the details. I would imagine you would be fine until the weather changes wherever you're at.

Your data log would also tell you Inlet Air temps, which KB is notoriously always high. And I'm a KB owner.

And the great majority of people on here are idiots when it comes to this stuff. They are mostly internet racers who insult and put down everyone else's rides. That's why I don't spend so much time here anymore.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:11 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Congrats on the install. The point of the data log on the dyno is to check and make sure everything described by KB is correct. Different cars and different climates can and does make a huge difference in drivability. KB has a history of putting a lot of timing into their tunes, a data log on a dyno would give the details. I would imagine you would be fine until the weather changes wherever you're at.

Your data log would also tell you Inlet Air temps, which KB is notoriously always high. And I'm a KB owner.

And the great majority of people on here are idiots when it comes to this stuff. They are mostly internet racers who insult and put down everyone else's rides. That's why I don't spend so much time here anymore.
thanks man. I'd be interested to hear about your dyno outcome, assuming you did one after your kb install. Did you end up retuning after? And your last point about internet racers is understood. Some people seem to know more about what you do without actually having done the research and work. When you get someone who looks at a picture of your install and points out "choke points".... well, you know the drill:-)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:12 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Well I think you have the 5.0 and a different blower so it won't be totally applicable. My experience in tuning is know your tuner. Most tuners can get the big hp numbers but not the great drivability.

Good tuners can sho things with the VCT and make more money up top or down low depending on the application.

It's always interesting to know what your actual fuel curve is and what it will make. With my car, I'm always interested in fast, numbers are cool, but I'm interested in the times. My last dyno put me at 590 twhp through a4r70. But at the track it would only mph around 126-127. Which is not representative of the power level. My guess is I was singing the blower too much, my motor was hurt (which it is now) or idk.

My suggestion to you is look around for a dunno day where they will dyno and data log. Get the info and go from there. Just because someone had a dyno and a computer doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Do your homework on them. It should be obvious who to use.