Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking Noise When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Nikita

Default Creaking Noise When Braking

I have searched the internet for the past year for a solution to my problem with no avail. In my research, I have discovered that many people are having the same issue as me but nobody has ever posted a solution that worked. I am about ready to pull my hair out so I have decided to hit up the forums myself and ask for advice.

Here's my problem. I have a 2014 Mustang V6 Premium. No performance package. I am hearing a creaking noise like a old spring mattress or old creaking plastic office chair in the front passenger side of the vehicle. The noise is coming from the lower front passenger footwell. The noise occurs when I apply the brake, and begins when the nose of the car dips, all the way through when the nose rises again, and then it stops. Here's the facts:

1) Creaking noise during braking
2) Does NOT creak when braking stationary
3) Does NOT creak when pushing down on suspension
4) Does NOT creak when pushing the car forwards and backwards
5) It's NOT the calipers (I've replaced all 4 calipers)
6) It's NOT the brake pads (I've replaced all 4 brake pads)
7) It's NOT the front sway bar bushings (I've replaced them with polyurethane)
8) I've sprayed silicone lubricant on all moving parts/bushings/rubber/etc.
9) Both front lower control arms were replaced under warranty/TSB due to noise going over bumps
10) While the car was under warranty I took it to Ford and they claimed they couldn't hear it (It's loud)
11) I have installed everything correctly and have applied the proper grease and brake silencer
12) Creaking is louder in cold weather but still noticeable in warm weather
13) When slamming on the brake there is no creaking (possible noise could be getting drowned out)
14) When I brake so that the car nose doesn't dip, there is no creaking noise
15) Creaking won't begin until under about 40mph
16) Factory rotors were turned before doing brake job (still in great condition)
17) I have bled the brakes

I believe this is everything. Please HELP ME!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nikita
I am hearing a creaking noise like a old spring mattress or old creaking plastic office chair in the front passenger side of the vehicle. The noise is coming from the lower front passenger footwell. The noise occurs when I apply the brake, and begins when the nose of the car dips, all the way through when the nose rises again, and then it stops. Here's the facts:

1) Creaking noise during braking
8) I've sprayed silicone lubricant on all moving parts/bushings/rubber/etc.
12) Creaking is louder in cold weather but still noticeable in warm weather
14) When I brake so that the car nose doesn't dip, there is no creaking noise
15) Creaking won't begin until under about 40mph
Sounds like the creaking noise may be coming from an area of the chassis when there's weight transfer to the front during braking.
You might wanna check the engine mounts and the transmission mount for any wear that may be causing some movement of the drivetrain.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I think you are barking up the wrong tree looking at the brakes. I would check suspension components such at the strut bushings and sway bar bushings.