Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I Broke Something!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Xyzoxious

Default Help! I Broke Something!

Hey guys! I'm new here.
I have an '05 Mustang GT and I was replacing my air intake tube. I almost got everything on until I broke something. I'm not sure what it's called, so I came to you guys for advice. It's the black line that connects into the left side of the black air intake tube. I have no idea what it's called so I can't exactly order it...
Old 11-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

A photo would definitely be helpful!!

Welcome aboard!!
Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I think he's talking about the PCV hose.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:23 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Wonder what part actually broke the connection maybe??
Old 11-25-2017, 07:57 AM
Xyzoxious

Yeah, it was definitely the PCV hose. I realize now that on the old black intake tube that was warped, they had cut part of it off so that the PCV hose would fit on. I didn't do that to my new one, and ended up braking the PCV hose trying to get it on the new intake tube...
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Help! I Broke Something

Xyzoxious, don't feel left out. This is very common when working on any vehicle. Not for nothing, I'm not trying to be a know it all, but when describing which side of the vehicle/engine, always orientate yourself as if you were sitting in the drivers seat. People, unknowingly, orient the vehicle while standing in front of the vehicle, this can cause much confusion. I'm probably to late, but have you considered a "Oil Separator." I used to boo-hoo this item, but after installing one on my 2014 GT, I am very impressed. I have to empty it every three months. And, no, my car isn't pushing oil. If you are NA, then only change the Separator on the "RIGHT" bank , remember your orientation. This is a two and one half minute installation.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Xyzoxious

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
Xyzoxious, don't feel left out. This is very common when working on any vehicle. Not for nothing, I'm not trying to be a know it all, but when describing which side of the vehicle/engine, always orientate yourself as if you were sitting in the drivers seat. People, unknowingly, orient the vehicle while standing in front of the vehicle, this can cause much confusion. I'm probably to late, but have you considered a "Oil Separator." I used to boo-hoo this item, but after installing one on my 2014 GT, I am very impressed. I have to empty it every three months. And, no, my car isn't pushing oil. If you are NA, then only change the Separator on the "RIGHT" bank , remember your orientation. This is a two and one half minute installation.
Oh, okay. I gotcha. Sorry, I usually do these things alone but I had to figure out what this part was so I could order another one.
But hey, what's good about an oil separator? Just wanna know the pros of having one.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:52 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xyzoxious
Oh, okay. I gotcha. Sorry, I usually do these things alone but I had to figure out what this part was so I could order another one.
But hey, what's good about an oil separator? Just wanna know the pros of having one.
Naturally aspirated, not much benefit, What the PCV does is recirculate any blow-by back into the intake system, this includes vaporized oil from the crankcase, which is then put back into the intake, for NA, this means occasional cleaning of the throttle body is in order to remove the oil residues, for FI the amount of oil getting blown by could affect the air/fuel ratio and resulting power. An oil separator catch can removes much of the vaporized oil and gives a more reliable air/fuel ratio, as well as reducing the frequency to clean the throttle body.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Xyzoxious

Originally Posted by danzcool
Naturally aspirated, not much benefit, What the PCV does is recirculate any blow-by back into the intake system, this includes vaporized oil from the crankcase, which is then put back into the intake, for NA, this means occasional cleaning of the throttle body is in order to remove the oil residues, for FI the amount of oil getting blown by could affect the air/fuel ratio and resulting power. An oil separator catch can removes much of the vaporized oil and gives a more reliable air/fuel ratio, as well as reducing the frequency to clean the throttle body.
Ahhh, I see. Yeah, I've already cleaned my throttle body like 3 times and I've just recently gotten the car. It doesn't even wanna stay running when the throttle body gets dirty like that. I'll definitely have to look into that.