Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAC GT Axelback Mufflers Anyone have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:32 PM
Eoli

Default MAC GT Axelback Mufflers Anyone have?

I just got them and am putting them on tommorow. Anyone have any and would like to tell me how they are. All I have seen is one crappy video of them and the sound quality of the movie was not good. Let me know how they are if u have them thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:17 AM
SCstanger
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MAC GT Axelback Mufflers Anyone have?

Got em and very satisfied with the sound ..
Old 10-28-2005, 02:31 AM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Dear Eoli,

Had them on since February 2005...

Love 'em, great big block V8 sound, and LOUD...

And at WOT, holy toledo!!!

Dave

Tell me how you like 'em...
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

Just put them on last week, I came from SLP LM.
I love the Low rummble, deep sound. One problem if you own an automatic and some cases manual
there is a bad drone at 1600-2000 rpm, Interior car parts Buzzzzz it's so bad.
From what I finding out is that ALL mufflers have a drone (SLP excluded, since there not mufflers)
same with Corsa and Borla they are strait through resonators
Old 10-28-2005, 01:22 PM
BillR

Corsa's do not resonate.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I have them and love em. From what I hear though its easier to pay someone to installed them unless you plan on drinking a suitcase.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:44 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BillR

Corsa's do not resonate.
Thats Correct Bill Corsa, SLP, and Borla are strait through Exhaust systems / Resonators not mufflers so Resonators Don't Resonate a drone and Mufflers Do. The louder the Muffler the Louder the Drone. Most after market mufflers are just steel boxes with an arraignment or series of baffles to adjust tone, think of a sub woofer enclosure how you can get a different or low tone by redirecting the sound wave length.

the Resonator is a strait pipe baffle that may have a holes in it or s specific shape to reduce poping or rasp,
but they are strait. I must say that these type of systems do sound very good on the 4.6 3v, but they are loud.

JMO
Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: swieduwi

Just put them on last week, I came from SLP LM.
I love the Low rummble, deep sound. One problem if you own an automatic and some cases manual
there is a bad drone at 1600-2000 rpm, Interior car parts Buzzzzz it's so bad.
From what I finding out is that ALL mufflers have a drone (SLP excluded, since there not mufflers)
same with Corsa and Borla they are strait through resonators
Dear Swieduwi,

I have the MACs on my 2005 GT w/automatic and "YES" they do drone at 1500-2000 RPMs...

I have heard that installing a Bassani X-Pipe cures this problem, but I have not purchased the X-Pipe yet and am still gathering more information on the effects on performance by changing this part of the exhaust...

Dave
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eoli

I just got them and am putting them on tommorow. Anyone have any and would like to tell me how they are. All I have seen is one crappy video of them and the sound quality of the movie was not good. Let me know how they are if u have them thanks.
Wonder if that was MY movie.

Anyhow, the startup sound is beautiful, the deceleration burble magfinicent, the WOT sound a pure jewel, but be prepared for the dreaded 1800-2000 RPM drone. This drone is widespread across a number of aftermarket axlebacks, and you either learn to stay out of that rev range during a constant speed cruise or you'll end up swapping them out for something else.

To date, the best sound/drone reduced pipes are probably from Corsa, but they are pretty expensive.

I've kept mine on because they sound AWESOME, and like I said, don't cruise in a gear that puts me at this rev range for too long. Upshift, downshift, speed up or down, open the window, crank the music, whatever...

John
Old 10-28-2005, 03:17 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: discofan
Dear Swieduwi,

I have the MACs on my 2005 GT w/automatic and "YES" they do drone at 1500-2000 RPMs...

I have heard that installing a Bassani X-Pipe cures this problem, but I have not purchased the X-Pipe yet and am still gathering more information on the effects on performance by changing this part of the exhaust...

Dave
Dave,
Thats the Way I may Go, I have heard this as well, I am looking into the Xpipe with high flow cats, I had a set that someone had given me but it replaced from the Cats back and I did not want to replace everything, I would like an easy install with just Cat replacement and Xpipe and leave the rest.

But if this does remove the drone from the MAC, Then I AM IN because I LOVE THE SOUND OVER ALL, the Mac's Are Awsome.

Quick Reply: MAC GT Axelback Mufflers Anyone have?