Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:04 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear End Rattle

Recently, there's been an intermittent rattling sound coming from the rear end of my 2005 V6. I’ve had it for only 2 months and its got about 3500 miles on it. This sound only started happening a little more than a week ago. I hear it every once and a while when I’m accelerating or when I go over a bump in the road. The first time I heard it, it sounded like static from the rear speakers. So, I turned off the radio, but to no effect. I went to the trunk and disconnected the rear speakers, hoping that it would solve my problem. As you can guess, it didn’t.

The sound seems to happen when I’ve got someone else in the car with me and gets even louder after I’ve gotten gas. I’ve removed everything I had in the trunk, thinking maybe something was rattling back there, but again no luck. The really weird thing is that the car can be making the sound one night then the next morning it’s gone, only to return the next day.

My father and I put the car up on blocks and inspected the entire rear end. Nothing we could see looked out of line. He figured it was some faulty bushing in the suspension or something, but that was just a guess. We both had no clue. So I finally bit the bullet and took it back to the dealership to have them look at it. They popped it up on the lift, gave it a thorough inspection, and ran a TSB check. They could neither find a problem nor even hear the sound. Pretty much what I expected, seeing as the sound was so intermittent.

I’ve been meaning to join one of these Mustang boards for a while and I figured this would be a great way to start up. This is my first Mustang, but I doubt it will be my last. Any help you guys could give me would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Rear End Rattle

Take it to the dealer and it won't make the noise!...

Mine was making a grind/whine noise on tight turns -- I took it in... took it out with a tech and it wouldn't do it... drive it home.. it idid it... drove it back to the dealer... it would'nt do it.. and hasn't done it since!
Old 11-02-2005, 12:51 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear End Rattle

Yeah, exactly! Maybe if I just pretend I'm driving to the dealership all the time it won't make the noise!

Thanks Professor!